Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New PC build, Power looping  (Read 4045 times)

archie05

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New PC build, Power looping
    « on: May 02, 2013, 09:47:37 AM »
    [I'm new here]

Hello all,

I have just built a new PC (parts ordered from Newegg.com) and after I had assembled it I ran into an issue. When I power on the PC it will run for about 30 seconds (with no beeps) then it will power off, then power back on to repeat with the same results. I detached all extra components (HDD, optical, Front Panel Attachments, ect) to perform a POST and I get the same results. I have tried removing the RAM and although I do get a beep error for it, the system will still only run for about 30 seconds then power off and on again to repeat with the same failing results. I have tried using the PSU on another PC and it works without issue. I have reseated the CPU, I have 4 sticks of ram to work with (2x 2GB and 2x 4GB) and I have tried using each stick alone in each slot with no change. I have taken the Mobo and PSU out of the case and placed it on cardboard to test again, but still got the same results. I am out of ideas at this point (aside from returning the CPU and/or the Mobo). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch all!

P.S. I have attached an image with the parts I have currently connected.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:18:28 AM by archie05 »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: New PC build, Power looping
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »
    I wonder if the computer is shutting off to prevent itself from overheating?

Did you attach a CPU cooler? How much thermal paste did you use?

archie05

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
      I had the same thought so I cleaned the CPU and heat sink then reapplied (just enough to get a thin layer across the entire CPU top. I actually work as a PC Tech for a small company and after talking with a few of the guys I think I might have a RAM issue. (which I forgot to post in the image) I believe the RAM I am using is ECC (server RAM) I'm going to try a different type today. I just don't know if that will explain the power loops or not. (won't know till I try) :)

Thanks for the response!!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »
      ECC RAM in a MBoard not designed for it will do this...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

archie05

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:59:33 AM »
        Turns out it was the RAM. Thanks for the responses and I hope this helps others in the future.