Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adobe Photoshop elements 4.0 on vista or higher?  (Read 2858 times)

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Adobe Photoshop elements 4.0 on vista or higher?
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
I bought adobe photoshop elements 4.0.
It says on the box it needs a directX 9.
Will it run on Vista or higher (it was released in 2005 vista didn't come out 2006)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Adobe Photoshop elements 4.0 on vista or higher?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403403.html

Adobe claims NO

Looks like its bound to XP  :-\   I'd find a low cost Windows XP computer or add a removable drive bay and have 1 HDD for XP and the other for Vista. You would need to buy a copy of XP Home or Pro though if you dont already have one to use that is not in use elsewhere. I added a removable HDD to my one system that I run as XP Pro, Linux Mint 14, or WHS as needed. Got a good deal on some IDE/PATA removable drives on clearance through Amazon drop shipped from Cyberguys. Interesting thing was that shipping was cheaper through buying through them on Amazon than it was buying through them directly. They wanted to charge me $13 shipping at their site, yet Amazon was just $7.35 for shipping with these the same price tag.  ::)

I bought an Inventory/Invoice program cheap many years ago on ebay and it only likes Windows 95 or 98, so I run it in a virtual machine environment where it is happy and have a LPT1 redirect to my USB printer. But I dont think a virtual XP environment would work out so hot for that software that requires graphics rendering power and all virtual environments I have used are weak on the graphics, pretty much simulating a virtual Trident VGA video card with like 8MB Video memory even though you have a powerful video card with greater than 512MB dedicated RAM to the GPU etc.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Adobe Photoshop elements 4.0 on vista or higher?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 08:01:42 PM »
I bought adobe photoshop elements 4.0.
It says on the box it needs a directX 9.
Will it run on Vista or higher (it was released in 2005 vista didn't come out 2006)

It will run. Vista will show that the program has "known compatibility issues", however you can make it continue. You might also require this patch.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.