Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Function Keys problem  (Read 5073 times)

echizen

Topic Starter

Rookie

Function Keys problem
    « on: May 08, 2013, 04:29:20 AM »
    hi everyone... i just recently reformatted my laptop....the problem is after its done reformatting..i cant use some keyboard functions anymore..like F2 and F3 for adjusting brightness, F 9 and F10 for the volume control...ive tried using FN + f3 but nothing works and so on.... i already tried also Enable the Function keys in the BIOS but nothing works....

Heres my LAPTOP Model and SPECs:

HP Pavilion m7-1078ca

Procesor: Intel (R) Core (TM)I7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHZ

Memory: 8gb

tnx

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Function Keys problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 04:59:59 AM »
    After reformatting did you install all appropriate drivers, including the chipset driver? Open Device Manager - any yellow or red symbols? All drivers should be obtained from the website of your laptop manufacturer.

echizen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »
      yes all is done.. i install all the required drivers already in the website of hp into my laptop with exact model....but still nothing happens

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:46:19 AM »
      Okay. You say "some" function keys don't work. Does that mean that some do work?

See if anything here helps: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/HP-Pavilion-g6-1318ax-Fn-Key-is-not-working-on-Windows-7/td-p/2422177

echizen

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:59:29 AM »
        yes some are working like the F5(backlit key) even without pressing Fn,the only problem is F2 and f3 the adjust brightness and f9 and f10 the beats audio volume control

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 06:28:02 AM »
        I assume they worked before the reformat? If so, then I'm at a loss. Let's wait and see if anyone else has some ideas.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:13 AM »
        How did you go about reinstalling your OS?  Did you use the recovery partition on the hard drive to restore the system to its original configuration? 

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:15:16 AM »
        How did you go about reinstalling your OS?  Did you use the recovery partition on the hard drive to restore the system to its original configuration? 
        The OP said he reformatted and then installed all appropriate drivers. The fact that some keys work and others don't is the puzzling part.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »
        My point was that, since the recovery partition normally includes all the needed drivers, taking that approach to restoring the system normally precludes the need to take additional steps to install drivers.  This would mean all devices would immediately work properly after this type of restore procedure.  So, the question remains regarding his approach to the recovery.  In other words, did he have a separate disc for the OS only and thus need to search for drivers, or did he use the recovery partition?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »
        You have a valid point - which would then raise the question: why a format and new install rather than a recovery.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 12:57:08 PM »
        It may be that the enable key in the BIOS setting actually disables them...i've seen this on some laptops that have a function key on/off selector.
        Also check your Manual...it may not be Fn to enable/disable them...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:11:58 AM »
        Some HP Laptops require you to install HP Quickset buttons or also called HP Quick Launch Software.
        The model you are using http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-104698-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=5287960&sw_lang=

The above link takes you to the software required for your model to enable some fn keys combinations.