Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dos games in dosbox and windows 95  (Read 11130 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Dos games in dosbox and windows 95
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »
Greetings CH!

A few weeks ago i was digging around and found my old pentium 1 machine. Man Those where the good days! Where windows 95 was cool and the internet was just slowly unraveling. Anyways. i booted her up and after sitting since 2004 it fired up like new running windows 95B! I found many Dos games i once played as a child and spent all day playing them.

I carry around a Laptop (2007 white macbook) that i would LOVE to run these games on. I have Dosbox installed version 0.74 that im currently playing them on. However it would be great if i could get windows 95 instead of DOS. Not that i dont like dos i just loved the win 95 interface. Anyways i found many youtube videos on this but i cant seem to follow any of them to see how to install win 95 on dosbox. I have the Original floppy Boot disks and Cd-Rom already in an .IMG file on my desktop. However reading from this Article it says to make a virtual Hard drive. I have no clue and cant figure out how to acomplish that in DosBox. Would really appreciate if someone can lead me through on how to get win95 running on Dosbox so i can run all my classic games.

Doom, Doom 2, Titanic Adventure of of time, Gta 1, screamer, lemings, the Jazz the jackrabbit series. etc.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dos games in dosbox and windows 95
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
Everyone I know who has a Mac and games on games that havent been ported for Mac are using Boot Camp or Parallels. This might allow you to play the old games, as well as Windows 95. 

I installed my old copy of Windows 95 to a virtual machine under Virtual PC 2007 which is free for PC's, but its definately not for gaming! It doesnt have the graphics rendering power in this virtual environment. The most complex game for it under Virtual PC 2007 environment which runs ok is Solitare or Minesweeper. Anything else will crash, refuse to execute due to inadequate hardware specs detected by software that tests pre execution of game, or you get a black screen and sound with no video.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 02:09:40 AM »
I installed my old copy of Windows 95 to a virtual machine under Virtual PC 2007 which is free for PC's, but its definately not for gaming! It doesnt have the graphics rendering power in this virtual environment. The most complex game for it under Virtual PC 2007 environment which runs ok is Solitare or Minesweeper. Anything else will crash, refuse to execute due to inadequate hardware specs detected by software that tests pre execution of game, or you get a black screen and sound with no video.

With VMWare, Windows 95 can run Doom95 OK. I actually don't know of many games that were written specifically for Windows 95. Seems games were written for DOS and then jumped to 98 after DirectX became good enough to use. Seems ridiculous to use Windows 95 for DOS gaming anyway, at least in a virtual Environment. Then you have TWO layers of emulation- Your Emulator emulating a PC, and Windows 95 somewhat emulating DOS, in addition to all the "fun" of getting both configured.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
DaveLembke
I have bootcamp currently running on my macbook and it runs windows XP. I should have written earlier that im not specific to OS versions as long as i can find out how to install win 95 on dosbox i know its possible. Just can't find an accurate way.

Even if i tried installing win 95 on bootcamp it wouldn't work well. For win95 if my memory suits me well wont run on anything that has more then was it 512mb Ram? My system has 4gb DDr 2 and a core 2 duo from intel. Even if i patched it up to work drivers would be tricky aswell.

BC_programmer
You are correct, most games then where made for DOs, however after using win 95 for just a little over a decade as my main system, i've noticed it handles all DOs games perfectly. Its version of DOs is the closest to the 6.22 ver that ran with win 3.1.

im just tired of using Dos commands and i Grew up with win95 so i wanted to get back to it again. but im obviously not going to drag my old thinkpad around again. LOL its like 10-15 pounds!

now i was looking at this web page.. Maybe you guys can lead me through it. I'm lost at steps 2 and 3. Im able to to basic Dos commands such as /cd cls dir and such but here where it says i must make my own hard disk image im a little lost.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
now i was looking at this web page.. Maybe you guys can lead me through it. I'm lost at steps 2 and 3. Im able to to basic Dos commands such as /cd cls dir and such but here where it says i must make my own hard disk image im a little lost.

What web page? URL missing....

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
my apologies haha.. this web Page.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=24936

i've been trying to follow it however im having issues with the second step. Not quite sure how to create my image.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »
Note: Windows 95 on DOSBox is just a toy. It’s not recommended for any serious work. Those who need Windows 95 for some productive purpose, or even for running games, are most likely better off using something like Virtualbox or Qemu.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.