Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop turns off when alt tabbed  (Read 2741 times)

gootecks

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop turns off when alt tabbed
    « on: May 12, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
    hi my laptop keeps turning off whenever i alt tab from a game. I also notice my laptop makes a louder than usual noise from the game and it will never stop until i alt tab, thus making my laptop turn off. My temperatures are fine and laptop does not get too hot. I need help please!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop turns off when alt tabbed
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
    Even though temperatures are fine and laptop does not get too hot, it most likely is warming up when playing the game and your fan is simply coming on or running faster to keep temps from getting too high.  Put your and near the air circulation vent(s) and put your ear close to the vent when you hear the noise.  Surely, you can verify the noise is from the fan.

Does alt/tab work correctly when switching between apps other than the game?

gootecks

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »
      alt tab does not work while i am playing a game. It doesnt matter if i am switching to desktop or just a web page, the laptop will always shut off. Also I forgot to mention that if i exit the game, the laptop shuts down. The game i am talking about is WoW. As for the loud noise i was talking about earlier, i meant the fan is so loud whether im in a populated place in WoW or if i exit to the login screen, the fan still makes the SAME loud noises.   :(

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:41 AM »
      alt tab does not work while i am playing a game. It doesnt matter if i am switching to desktop or just a web page, the laptop will always shut off.
      Right, I understood that.  My question remains.  Forget the game now.  In other words, if  you have started your computer and NOT opened the game, can you alt/tab between apps?

The game i am talking about is WoW. As for the loud noise i was talking about earlier, i meant the fan is so loud whether im in a populated place in WoW or if i exit to the login screen, the fan still makes the SAME loud noises.   :(
      So, it makes the all level of noise ALL the time, regardless of what you're doing, right?  Has the computer always done this, ever since it was new?  Have you opened Task Manager and monitored CPU usage to see whether a particular application is consuming is hogging resources?   How old is your computer?  Have you ever cleaned dust out of the inside?  What make and model is it? 

Also I forgot to mention that if i exit the game, the laptop shuts down.
      Regarding the behavior of your system with the game, you might start a discussion at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1011701/.  I'm not a WoW player.