Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to Initiate System Restore Feature after Factory Restore  (Read 3270 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

One of the primary reasons I had for performing a factory restore on a friend's Lenovo E5800 dual core, Win 7 HP desktop PC, is that the system restore function was broken, and apparently has been since the machine was purchased 2 or 3 years ago.  After completing the factory reset, one of the first things I checked was system restore.  Apparently, I found, something happened during the initial factory setup which makes it impossible for this feature to work.

Snip 01 (attached) shows that the C drive folder which the system looks for is missing.  I renamed the "C" drive from no label to "OS," thinking this might help, but it did not.  Snip 02 shows how I tried to configure the OS drive, and\or the C-folder-missing- drive, to initiate system restore.  Snip 03 shows that the system reported that the drive had an incorrect label, and system restore could not be setup.  Snip 04 is a snapshot of the management console, showing this desktop has a single system hard drive, divided into 3 partitions - a small Win 7 established partition, the OS, or system C Drive, and a 25 gb restore partition, which was used to accomplish the factory restore.

I hope that some participant of this forum has some idea how to correct this problem.  I'm positively stumped.  I suspect that I might copy the newly restored C partition to a different hard drive, and leave off the restore partition in an effort to see if that would work, but I don't want to give up the factory restore option forever. 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Unable to Initiate System Restore Feature after Factory Restore
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 05:56:05 AM »
    The syntax error is happening because the C: volume has been renamed...
    Remove the label you gave it and re-run the factory restore.
    The reason system restore did not work is it was probably turned off...that or no restore point was created after the factory re-set.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 06:12:36 AM »
      Patio:

Thanks for the reply - I was hoping you were still around.  It's probably not very clear in my original post, but I tried to communicate the fact that I only renamed the C Drive after the restore, and after I had verified that I still had no ability to configure system restore.  Of course, I renamed the drive thinking that might help - but it did not. 

I have reinstalled about 125 windows updates, including SP1 for W7 HP 64 bit.  It may be helpful to know that system restore is functioning, based on what must have been a default of 1% (1 gb) of the system drive.  Right now, that translates into 5 restore points.  But, as I'm sure you know, as time goes by, a single restore point can easily devour all that small amount of space.  As it stands now, system restore works as it should, but configuration of the amount of space dedicated to system restore isn't possible.

Thanks again for your interest.  I'm painfully aware that Microsoft will provide no assistance in an issue such as this, and I don't have a clue as to where else to look for the solution.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 06:39:36 AM »
        Patio:

Thanks for the link, but of course it only spells out how to do what I have already tried unsuccessfully to do on several occasions.  I'll continue to search, and maybe Google will turn up something.