Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot boot  (Read 2917 times)

asterose

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Cannot boot
    « on: May 14, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »

I have a 2006 HP Presario SR2006NX with Windows XP (5.1.2600) Home, Service Pack 3, with a DVD-R/CD-WR, 80GB hard drive and 17" lcd monitor.  I have never had any problems with it until yesterday.  I had placed disk 2 of a 2-disk setup in the CD drive for a Windows XP EMachine I owned until it expired, to see what files might be there.  It had trouble displaying some of the directories, so I loaded a live Lucid Puppy CD and it also had trouble displaying, though differently.  I attempted to unmount the CD drive and eject the CD, but after unmounting, it wouldn't eject.  Next, I clicked on shutdown and reboot, hoping to reboot Windows since the Puppy CD was no longer in the drive, but on reboot, I tried unsuccesfully to eject the CD from the drive again several times.  I have done this before without a hitch many times.  But this time, the machine started making a grunting sound followed by a loud click which it did several times before I turned it off.  Then I attempted to turn it on again with the same result.  After several attempts, it made no noise at all, the monitor just came on and said "No devices" briefly before turning itself off.  I need to understand what happened.  Is the CPU dead, the Power Supply dead, the Motherboard fried, or the disk itself fried?  I tried exchanging power cords to no avail, but the other power cord is even older than the current one, so it may not work, either.  Help!  I need a hint, at least.  Thank you.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Cannot boot
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »
    There should be a hole by the eject button on the CD player...
    Straighten a paper clip out and insert it and press til the tray opens...
    This can be done with or withour power to the unit.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "