Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen at login  (Read 9109 times)

verystrengt

Rookie
  • The typo apocalypse continues...
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Black screen at login
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »
I had the same problem...I cleaned the registry using ccleaner and Iobit advances systemcare 5(this did the most I think) and it was fixed, the black screen probably comes from a file that went missing and your computer is searching for it during the black screen, try cleaning the registry with the 2 programs I suggested.

Bobh

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 11:03:11 PM »
verystrengt -
Thanks for your reply.  However I am afraid to mess with the registry so I will just put up with the 1 1/2 minute delay.
Bob

Bobh

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 05:09:10 AM »
Allan -
Help me with this.  Verystrengt suggests that the random black screen is caused by "comes from a file that went missing and your computer is searching for it during the black screen".  It seems to me that if I was missing a file the black screen would show every time, but it does not.  He suggests cleaning the registry.  I have been told by many "never touch the registry".  His suggested program costs $20  which isn't much money but some programs make errors so they can fix them and tell how great they are.  Is this program safe to use?   Thanks for help.      Bob 

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 05:34:28 AM »
Ignore his post

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 01:27:50 AM »
I deleted all start up programs except Avast which I left
If you keep a recent Avast installer in your hard drive, try removing the software using an avast uninstaller/remover or by add or remove program. Reinstall Avast if no changes were made.Try also updating/reinstalling video driver or lowering resolution a notch and reboot to check on the difference.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 05:48:56 AM »
If you want to continue troubleshooting, please boot to safe mode and see if the problem exists there or if it is a normal boot.

Bobh

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »
Allan -
jason2074 -
Thank you both for suggestions.  I will try them but since it is a random problem I don't think it will do much good to persue it farther.   If it gets worse or happens every time I login, then I will ask for help again.   Bob

Gray1989

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 08:44:37 PM »
It sounds to me there may be some registry corruption. it also seems that it may be limited to your one user account. try creating a new user account from control panel, restart your computer and login to the new account. see if that helps. if it does try deleting the affected account after backing up what you need.
If you are reading this post, I am no longer going to be active at this website. I have found the conflict of interest regarding members/moderators here to be too much for me to want to continue. I only came here to help and yet some people feel that questioning my skills and/or motives is a good way to spend time, while protecting the motives of those who choose to spend their time doing so. I am staying away from forums for a while. Back to programming.

Bobh

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 06:29:22 PM »
Gray1989 -
It appears that you are right about the way to solve my problem.  I'm not too sure what I did but I set up another account and so far there is no black page.  However, because the black screen occurs randomly I will use the new account for a day or two and let you know the results.  The new account is using Internet explorer 8.  I have been using Internet Explorer 7.   I would prefer using IE 7 because I have written each and every step to use the web pages I have.  This is so my wife can use the computer.  She is not very good with a computer but she can follow directions.  Is it possible to delete IE 8 and go back to IE 7?   Thanks for your help.    More later.    Bob

Bobh

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Gray1989 -
As I said , setting up another account got rid of the black screen.   I deleted the other account as I did not have a use for it and when I did the black screen came back.  I sat up an extra account again and the black screen has not appeared since.  I don't have any idea why it works this way but if it isn't broke don't fix it.  Thanks for your help.     Bob

verystrengt

Rookie
  • The typo apocalypse continues...
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 02:22:23 PM »
Allan -
Help me with this.  Verystrengt suggests that the random black screen is caused by "comes from a file that went missing and your computer is searching for it during the black screen".  It seems to me that if I was missing a file the black screen would show every time, but it does not.  He suggests cleaning the registry.  I have been told by many "never touch the registry".  His suggested program costs $20  which isn't much money but some programs make errors so they can fix them and tell how great they are.  Is this program safe to use?   Thanks for help.      Bob
I know you probably don't need any help anymore but the programs I suggested were free, just saying.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 02:07:06 AM »
I know you probably don't need any help anymore but the programs I suggested were free, just saying.

There are HUNDREDS of registry cleaning 'programs' out there, it does not mean they do any good.
11 cheers for binary !