Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer sometimes stuck during bootup, loud fan sound  (Read 3095 times)

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
computer sometimes stuck during bootup, loud fan sound
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
Intermittent problem: hit the power button, sometimes computer gets stuck at blank black screen at bootup, not even getting to the red compaq logo. Fan is loud if this happens.

However, sometimes computer loads normally and boots to windows perfectly fine. When reverted to using integrated VGA card on motherboard, computer seems fine. But when using stand alone (AGP) graphics card, computer has intermittent problem. Have tried with older graphics card too.

Sounds like connection issues with AGP slot? When successfully booted to windows, computer runs fine.

Still using old computer, with specs below my username to the left / in profile.

any ideas / solutions? Would like to use the AGP graphics card, but at worst, I can revert back to the old VGA connection when I find my old VGA cable somewhere.

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: computer sometimes stuck during bootup, loud fan sound
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:43:36 PM »
Whens the last time you opened the case and did some housekeeping in there ? ?
Don't use a vacuum...canned air is best.
If you can determine which fan is noisy most likely it can be replaced...even if it's the vid card.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

2x3i5x

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: computer sometimes stuck during bootup, loud fan sound
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:38:53 PM »
hi Patio,

sorry for delay to reply.

Got myself a VGA cable, computer sometime still has same boot problem although not as frequently as before.

Have took a clean of computer shortly before posting original message.

Other ideas?

Thank you