Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: two operating systems on one computer, xp and vista.  (Read 4173 times)

Jdzieds

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    two operating systems on one computer, xp and vista.
    « on: May 20, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »
    I have a desktop that had windows vista installed. I was having file upload problems so decided
    to load windows Xp Home Edition with the cd. After I installed Windows Xp, only windows Xp loads with no choices. I installed it in a separate folder. I can see the other windows folder on the c drive. I want to delete xp and just go back and use vista. How can I do that?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: two operating systems on one computer, xp and vista.
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:22:23 AM »
    For future reference, older OS's should be installed first, then newer versions - otherwise the boot manager won't know about both versions. For now, you can use the free versions of EasyBCD to manage your boot loader: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

simplyTechy100

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »
      Do not install old after new, install NEW AFTER OLD.If you don't, the old will never work. Maybe a BOOTMGR deleted? Hal.dll, NTOSKRNL, C_437 errors? Config/software, config/sam, config/default, config/system errors? Crashes? What exactly is happening? Is there any "FATAL: Could not read from boot medium! System halted.", or "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." errors?
      Try booting from the CD, waiting, pressing R, selecting your XP installation, typing in the admin password, then type in fixmbr and hit enter.
      When it warns you, hit Y and press enter.
      Next, type in fixboot and press enter.
      Again, press Y and hit enter.
      Next. type exit and hit enter.
      See if booting into the XP works now.

Jahness

Beginner

• Yes
        • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:38:01 PM »
      I Dual boot on my computer I use for work between XP Pro and Vista but I installed Vista and any programs on a different partition. I already had XP originally installed so I didn't think twice and installed Vista after. They both run smooth but I don't like Vista all that much and will probably try a third boot option with 7 or just replace Vista with 7. Don't know if any of this helps but hopefully it does.

John

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
      I Dual boot on my computer I use for work between XP Pro and Vista but I installed Vista and any programs on a different partition. I already had XP originally installed so I didn't think twice and installed Vista after. They both run smooth but I don't like Vista all that much and will probably try a third boot option with 7 or just replace Vista with 7. Don't know if any of this helps but hopefully it does.
      Can't see that it helps.  You installed new after old which is why it worked fine for you.  But, the necessity of that approach has already been established in previous posts.