Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer starts automatically only in safe mode, registry attack?  (Read 18715 times)

raygill

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Desktop with Windows 7  service pack 1, Intel I-5-2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz, 16.0 GB memory, 64 bit OS,  crashed one month ago.  Self-help unsuccessful.  Using laptop in mean time.  Tried desktop again today.  Always starts automatically in safe mode.  Scan in SM showed no errors.  Cannot access internet.  Someone suggested it might be root kit virus.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer starts automatically only in safe mode, registry attack?
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 07:43:42 AM »
    1) Define "crash" please.

2) If you suspect malware, Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs in the thread you create (NOT in this thread):
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

raygill

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
      It started with a runtime error for a paperport.exe scanning application which I have been using for over a year without any problem.  The message was 'this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact etc.'  I tried to recover the system from 3 weeks earlier right before a critical update.  In the process, another message popped up:  'do you want to allow Microsoft to perform changes' i.e. search for malware.  I said no.  The computer restarted.  After restart, I got the same message but said yes this time.  The computer did its business, restarted and sounded terrible, a repetitive grumbling, grinding sound, not loud, but persistent.  Then it sounded like it was shuffling through files, then the same error message came on for just a couple of seconds ('do you want to allow MS to make changes etc').  Next error message, 'too many 16 bit programs, get rid of some....' and then it went into a repetitive cycle of shutting down, restarting, shutting down, restarting again. 

I went to the link for the malware clean up.  I think it assumes an ability to download files from the internet onto the affected computer.  I cannot do that on my affected desktop.  I am trapped in safe mode with no access to the internet.  Where can I go from here?

Thank you for your interest.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
      ...The computer did its business, restarted and sounded terrible, a repetitive grumbling, grinding sound, not loud, but persistent...
      Could be hard drive is going bad, test it with drive manufacturer's software.
      http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

raygill

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 06:49:25 AM »
        Thank you.  I downloaded the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostics - DLGDIAG for Windows v. 1.24 utility and ran the Quick Test which the hard drive passed.  Do you think I should run the extended test which could take several hours.  Thanks again for your help.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »
        Yes.
        The long test is the definitive one...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

raygill

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »
          I did the extended test and the hard drive passed.  What do you suggest I try now?  Thank you.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 05:18:47 AM »
          Have you tried un-installing and re-installing the HP printer and it's software ? ?
          As to the noise it could also be one of the fans...

raygill

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
            I think the noise was a red herring.  After the initial crash, we were able to start in safe mode intentionally and access the internet.  We even downloaded a couple of different anti-malware applications to try to correct the problem.  But the computer was consistently acting like there was a virus, or Trojan, or something deviously thwarting every attempt to get at the essential problem. I think I need some help with isolating the malware and dealing with it. 

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »
            I would suggest visiting Here...

And Post your logs for the Experts to have a looksee...

raygill

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
              As you know, I cannot download directly to the affected computer because I cannot get on the internet.  So I downloaded the CCleaner application per the instructions and saved it to a flash drive.  I then transferred the flash drive to the affected computer and tried to run it.  I get the error message:  "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe  The specified path does not exist." When I try to change the path to the flash drive (drive "I:\"  in this case) I get the same error message but with the new drive.  I imagine this is pretty elementary stuff and I apologize but I do not know how to run CCleaner in these circumstances.  Would you kindly tell me what to do?  Thank you very much.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
              Is your version of Win7 64Bit ? ?
              If not DLoad the 32 bit CCleaner and try it...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »
              CCleaner System Requirements:
              Runs on Microsoft Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP. Including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
              Thanx for the heads up...
              Was not aware the 1 version runs on both.
              Also at the bottom of the page is the ver. that will run from a flash drive...perhaps he should try that one.

raygill

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 05:01:59 AM »
                I don't see anything about opening CCleaner from a flash drive at the bottom of the page.