Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Should Kill the Surface - The Morley Fool.  (Read 3463 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Microsoft Should Kill the Surface - The Morley Fool.
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »
The Morley Fool, May 3, 2013 says -
Microsoft Should Kill the Surface

By Rick Munarriz | More Articles
May 3, 2013 | Comments (15)

The latest data out of industry tracker IDC is encouraging for the tablet industry, but not so encouraging for Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) role in this booming market.

There were a whopping 49.2 million tablets shipped during the first three months of this year, well ahead of the 20.3 million devices that shipped during the first quarter of 2012. However, Google's (NASDAQ: GOOG  ) Android and Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) iOS combined for more than 96% of the market.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/03/microsoft-should-kill-the-surface.aspx

The Morley Fool is not a joke. It is a serious investor news source. If they say MS Surface  is doing badly, it is not a joke.
EDIT: One reader said:
That is impossible. You cannot kill something that is already dead!

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Microsoft Should Kill the Surface - The Morley Fool.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
The surface looks really promising as a tablet but I think they are trying to make it too much and posing it as a complete laptop replacement instead of a tablet.  I love my tablet (Nexus 7) but there is no way I could replace my laptop, let alone by desktop with one!

At university I have seen a total of ONE, yes ONE surface being used - Even when Microsoft set up a stall begging people to try Windows 8 they had Sony Vaio laptops!

I feel it was a bit of a daft move building it on ARM CPUs, I mean, ARM is great but when it causes you to have to lose compatibility with existing apps then that's a huge turn-off and since the market share of Windows RT is so small there is almost no incentive for developers to build apps for it!  Using some sort of ULV Intel chip would have been a much better move.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
The Intel  low voltage chip has been around some three years now.
Consumer Ultra-Low Voltage (CULV) is a computing platform developed by Intel.[1][2] It has been estimated that this market could reach 10 million CULV laptops shipped within 2009.[3]...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Ultra-Low_Voltage

About the only advantage Intel has is the 22nm die, which means they can make more money. If anybody buys a bunch of them.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »
Geek...with all due respect...you should stop beleiving and posting everything you read...
Most of it turns out to be nonsense.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »
Geek...with all due respect...you should stop believing and posting everything you read...
Most of it turns out to be nonsense.
Yes, I am still learning.