Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using installed hard disk in another system  (Read 4303 times)

Anbananthan

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Using installed hard disk in another system
    « on: May 23, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
    I have a fully installed hard disk with xp professional. This runs in most systems. But in a Asus board core duo system blue screen appears and doesn't start even in safe mode. Is it necessary to make fresh installation in every system? It was not so earlier. Pl. clear this point. How to install fresh xp from a DVD with all programmes and software unaffected in at least C drive?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Using installed hard disk in another system
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
    It's often the case that you can't move a hard drive from one machine to another without affecting the Windows installed.  Two things to check - first, check the SATA mode on the Asus board, and make sure it's set to IDE, not AHCI.  Secondly, if you can boot the Windows install on another machine, go to device manager and uninstall the IDE or SATA controllers, then shut it down, then try booting the disk in the Asus PC.  If that doesn't work, you will need to reinstall Windows, which will wipe your programs and data.
    One possible option is to try a repair install of Windows on that disk - here's a great link for info on that http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Anbananthan

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:32:48 AM »
      Dear Calum,

Thank you. It was an informative and quick reply. I shall try the option. The link was also useful.
      But as you know the OS these days manage the whole thing unlike those good old days DOS. Hence this problem of losing all meticulous installation of software and the drivers. Can't people make a water tight compartment of dividing these two and link different ones as and when required. For example, keep all the basic booting files in an inbuilt pendrive as boot drive and over and above hard disks for programmes etc.? Wild dreams!???

Anyhow, thank you.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 03:36:12 AM »
      No problem, hope it helps.  It would be nice to have programs and the OS itself separate, but I don't know if that will ever happen mainly because there's not that much call for it and I can imagine it'd take a lot of work.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:02:27 AM »
      No problem, hope it helps.  It would be nice to have programs and the OS itself separate, but I don't know if that will ever happen mainly because there's not that much call for it and I can imagine it'd take a lot of work.
      There is reason.
      Aurally it is easier. Yes, esay to install a windows program without the  "convoluted tubule"  syndrome. (Yeah, I kinda' made that up.)

Such easy to install programs are called 'portable windows programs'*, meaning that can run off a USB stick and be transported from one PC to another.
      Apparently  it is hard to force people to register such programs.

* Or, portable Applications.
      http://portableapps.com/   (Free stuff)
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_application

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 03:50:01 AM »
      When I said "it'd take a lot of work" I meant along the lines of rewriting every application that has ever been made to not use the registry or any folders for settings and files outside of its own directory, and then erasing all trace of previous versions that weren't portable.
      Portable apps are one solution, but that doesn't work for everything.  Firefox settings and bookmarks can be easily transferred whether it's the portable version or not - more complex and indeed more important software packages aren't always so easy.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:33:29 AM »
      Portable apps are one solution, but that doesn't work for everything.  Firefox settings and bookmarks can be easily transferred whether it's the portable version or not - more complex and indeed more important software packages aren't always so easy.
      I will not disagree with you. However, could you be more specific? Personally, The program I use most often is a Photo and graphics editor that has to be installed. Nevertheless, they claim that some portable Aps are as good, I I have not tried them all. Here is a very long list:
      http://portableapps.com/apps
      Portable App Directory
      Over 300 Apps: All 100% Free, Legal and Portable
      all installed for you and automatically updated in the PortableApps.com Platform
      Even if I could try four PortAps a week, I could not do  300 in a year!
      A lot pof work!!!    ;D

It shroud be mentioned, it maybe  the reason vendors stay away from portability is the issue of copyright infringement.

However, there is a hardware solution to that. Yet the vendors, so far, have not used it. I think it could be a great idea. A special supplication USB device that allows you to own  a portable license on a USB stick. The fist time you use it you have the option to activate it within 10 days. Once activated, your personal info is sent to the vendor and keep on file. Nobody can make working copies of your USB device, but you can take it anywhere and run it on any windows OS made in  the past  ten years. It could be priced way below other productivity suites and still make a lot of money for the developer. The actual hardware is not very expensive.
      Just a thought...