Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE! LAPTOP ACTING UP AND NEED IT FOR WORK  (Read 3382 times)

oreofudge

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    HELP PLEASE! LAPTOP ACTING UP AND NEED IT FOR WORK
    « on: May 26, 2013, 01:20:17 PM »
    I have an HP Pavilion dv8000 running XP with I believe SP3 and major updates until end of last year!

I started to see probs happening then, as soon as fan started to whirl up really fast, the laptop just shut off, at times it just shuts off itself as soon as it was powered on... I have to put it to use again like "today"... so powered it on yesterday, everything went well, updated Zone Alarm, Acrobat and it may have updated some XP files, but don't know which... after having to restart it... it picked up the same prob as before, it shuts off when the fan whirls up... and haven't been able to bring it back to life since yesterday... read that in some cases I would need to reset the CMOS, for which I followed instructions to remove the battery for ten minutes or so, reinserted and restart it... after that it just won't go beyond the "loading personal settings" window and it either stays there forever, or it shuts off a real long while after once the fan revs up!... have tried in Safe Mode with no results... there's only one user with admin privileges and the guest account... neither opens in regular mode... and in safe mode appears the user and the administrator, but when logging in trying to use the admin user, it says the password is wrong... won't have at hand a Windows CD until Tuesday, but really need to try any other fix ASAP... I'm pretty fam with computers, but this is bugging the heck outta me!... PLEASE HELP since I need to return the laptop I'm now writing with ASAP too!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: HELP PLEASE! LAPTOP ACTING UP AND NEED IT FOR WORK
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »
    By returning it do you mean to the Client you're fixing it for ? ?
    As it would obviously be out of Warranty...
    Who gave you the password ? ?...Password's are case-sensitive so try a few different combos.
    Your capslock key was on when you posted the Topic...perhaps that's the issue...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oreofudge

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:42 AM »
      No, my personal computer is the one acting up; the one I'm writing on is one I borrowed while trying to solve the issue with my own, but I should return this one soon. Whatever I'm writing here, is being written on a working computer. As per the password, the admin user comes up only in safe mode, and asks for a password which I don't recall setting up, on normal mode it shows two users, the one I created when the laptop was setup, and for which the password I know coz I created it, he other user is the 'guest', which by the way does not let me access. Hope this helps to clarify things.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:50:48 AM »
      If you never setup an Admin password on that PC then when prompted for 1 simply hit Enter and it should continue...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oreofudge

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:20 AM »
        ...logged in as admin in safe mode but laptop stalls forever at "applying personal settings" ... if logging in by regular user in safe or regular mode, it stalls at "loading personal settings"...