Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I upgrade my integrated video card?  (Read 5553 times)

dhooddmb41

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Can I upgrade my integrated video card?
    « on: May 27, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
    Hello,

First off, thanks for taking the time to help me with my problem.  I have an HP AMD Quad-Core A10-5700 desktop with a dedicated AMD Radeon HD 7660D graphics card.  Would it be possible for me to add a standalone graphics card to my computer, or am I stuck with what I have?  Thank you for your help. 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can I upgrade my integrated video card?
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »
    Welcome to the forums :)

Do you have the exact model of your PC?  For example, HP Pavilion dv6z-7000.  This will let us know whether you have the slot for a standalone card, whether it will fit in the case, and whether your power supply will handle it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »
    Check your documentation. Or, just go to the HP site and look for a Graphics card that works with your model.
    Or use this link.
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=cto_config&config_id=1817240&aoid=44661&003=6663635&010=C9D15AV#ABA_1817240&ci_sku=C9D15AV#ABA_1817240&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Is this one of the cards they say works with your box?
    1GB Nvidia GeForce GT620 [DVI, HDMI, VGA via Adapter]

dhooddmb41

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
      Thank you for the replies.  My model is p7-1451, and yes, it does give me the option to add the 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT620 [DVI, HDMI, VGA via Adapter].  The thing is I have never opened my case, so I am assuming their is a PCI Express slot for that card and if I purchased it then I should just be able to put it in and my computer will pick up on it and go from there? 

dhooddmb41

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:47:25 AM »
        And it looks like I could buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-GeForce-PCI-Express-VCGGT620XPB/dp/B00847LDTI

If this is the same card and you think it would work on my pc, plus give me better performance when playing games, then I will buy it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »
        Well, you have the right slot for it, but you only have a 300W power supply, so you'll be somewhat limited in what you can upgrade to.  I'm struggling to find a low powered card that is actually better than a 7660D onboard - the GT 620 is significantly weaker.

Edit: also, you are correct, you would only need to insert the new card and start the PC, then install the appropriate drivers.  No other configuration should be necessary.

dhooddmb41

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
          Hey guys, thank you for the help.  I think I will take it to a guy down town that can prevent me from either A: wasting money, or B: destroying my system.  I can actually run quite a few games pretty well.  The first time I really experienced any lag was with BioShock Infinite.