Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Ports have power but wont detect device  (Read 12825 times)

nayrbrellim

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    USB Ports have power but wont detect device
    « on: May 27, 2013, 08:29:37 AM »
    I have a DEll Precision 390 computer, I upgraded to windows 7 64 bit OS and now my USB ports (none of them) will detect a device, they do have power though.  I have checked all the BIOS settings, uninstalled - reinstalled etc, tried to go to Dell for support but they dont have drivers for the Windows 7 for the Precision 390 (I assume bc it came with windows XP), the roll back driver is grayed out and when I try to update driver it says the latest driver is what i have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am at my wits end with this and losing my mind ???

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: USB Ports have power but wont detect device
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:38:02 AM »
    The 975X chipset in the Precision 390 should certainly be supported by Windows 7, and the USB controller should need no additional drivers to work.  Do the ports work before Windows loads, for example can you use a USB keyboard to get into and navigate the BIOS?
    If so, try this - that's a direct link to download the latest chipset driver from Intel.

nayrbrellim

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:27 AM »
      None of the USB Ports work before startup.  I downloaded the chipet from your link and installed, unfortunately it didnt resolve problem.

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, I still have no clue what could possibly be causing the USB ports to just not detect a device but to supply power.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 07:11:20 AM »
      If the ports aren't working even before Windows loads, that's a hardware problem and not driver or OS-related.
      What options related to USB do you have in the BIOS?