Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reflashing Bios with a test clip  (Read 18618 times)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Reflashing Bios with a test clip
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »
After thinking this over and musing about the negative reports I found, trying to program the chip yourself with an external programmer is not a good idea. The motherboard makers recommend you use software only, not hardware, to program motherboard chips outside of the factory.  In the factory they have their own designs and methods for programming the BIOS during production.

I did find one site where somebody it, but is was very specific to just none  motherboard. There may not be a generic external  hardware tool that can program any motherboard.

As a comparison, it is easier to find a replacement remote control for your old Emerson TV set.

I once built  a real simple FDD controller that required the IC  to be programed with complements instead of straight byte code. I did not document it, there was no reason to ever change the code. But it made some of my co-workers very annoyed.  So I could imagine the motherboard maker might have done something very odd with a custom hardware programmer that was not obvious to everybody.

Example: The chip may not work unless it is first programmed the first time by out of board hardware. After that it can be programmed by software while in the motherboard.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Reflashing Bios with a test clip
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:55 PM »
Example: The chip may not work unless it is first programmed the first time by out of board hardware. After that it can be programmed by software while in the motherboard.

Yes... This is true. The low level instructions to allow it to accept the software flash through Floppy, USB, or Operating System already live Flashing, are part of the initial hardware ROM flash. This is the reason why boards with a singular BIOS without a redundant ROM can become a brick when they receive a wrong or corrupt flash.