Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: restoring packard bell laptop from recovery disks but 2nd disk is corrupted  (Read 6987 times)

tercou1

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi

I had started to restore my laptop to it's factory settings using the three recovery disks that I had made. The first disk worked perfectly but the second did not (it keeps freezing near the end of the process)... I was not aware of the partition until it was too late but I can't use that now because the first disk has wiped everything from the HD (or can I??)... I hope you can help

Thanks

T

Your I.T. Guy

Starter

• Yes
      • Computer Repairs Melbourne - Your I.T. Guy
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    If you have the original Windows key (usually a sticker on the side or the back of the box) you can use a standard Windows disc to perform a clean install. Just make sure it is the same version ie. if you have a Windows 7 Home Premium key don't install Win 7 Pro (it won't accept the key). You will then need to go to the manufacturer's website to download the device drivers.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Welcome to both of you.

... you can use a standard Windows disc to perform a clean install.
    Well, it seems he/she does not have a "standard Window disc".  They said:
    I had started to restore my laptop to it's factory settings using the three recovery disks that I had made.

I had started to restore my laptop to it's factory settings ...
    Why?  What happened that lead to you to restoring it?  What make and model is it?

tercou1

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for the replies... it is a packard bell Easynote Tj74 windows 7..... The reason I'm doing a factory setting restore is because when I turn on the laptop it would allow me to enter a password and when windows started it would just freeze/lockup and would not allow me to do anything... so i (thought) was left with no option but to try and restore it to it's factory settings... I had made the disks when I bought the laptop approx 8 months ago...

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Check the Manuf. site for info on a Factory Restore from the hidden restore partition...

P.S. Whenever making restore CD's no matter what app is used you should always use the "verify image" tool...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      I was not aware of the partition until it was too late but I can't use that now because the first disk has wiped everything from the HD
      If that's correct, meaning the restore partition has, indeed, been erased, contact Packard Bell about getting a system disc.  You may need to pay a small fee but it will be much less expensive than buying Windows at retail. 

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      This doesn't sound accurate as no restore CD is supposed to wipe the Recovery partition...only the C: partition...

tercou1

Topic Starter

Starter

by messing around with different combinations of buttons I held "ALT" and pressed "F10" a number of times on start up and this allowed me to access the hidden partition  ;D so it is currently being restored :D Thanks to everybody for there replies...

Your I.T. Guy

Starter

• Yes
          • Computer Repairs Melbourne - Your I.T. Guy
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        I understood that tercou1 was using recovery discs but Windows 7 discs aren't that hard to come by (especially if you are running Windows 7 Home Premium), i would ask friends or family if anyone has one, if you can get your hands on one it's a relatively easy fix.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        Re-read the last Post...he's solved it.

simplyTechy100

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
          Uh oh... I think you need to either use a Windows CD (Anyways, are you using Vista or 7?) (What edition?) (What service pack?), buy a new pair of disks (the disk 2 will not come corrupted, also disk 1 and disk 3 will not come corrupted.), or buy a new Windows Vista/7 laptop with either Windows Vista SP2 of your version, or Windows 7 SP1 or higher of your version (SP1 is based on how much security you need, SP2 has medium security and SP3 has high security. Vista list: SP1 has no updates, SP2 has low-medium security, and SP3 has high security.) XP/2000/ME/98/98SE/95/NT/3.11/3.1 are in other forums. 3.1, 3.11, NT, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, and 2000 have bad security against viruses. (3.1 and 3.11 have no viruses written for them).

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          See my Post directly above yours...
          I've removed your other inane comments after the fact.