Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to factory restore Gateway Nela0 with windows 7  (Read 5457 times)

pilotguy118

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Trying to factory restore Gateway Nela0 with windows 7
    « on: June 01, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »
    Hi, first time poster looking for some troubleshooting help. I'll try to keep this quick and give you as much information as I can.

The story was a few months ago, my sister's Gateway Nela0 wouldn't open any programs. Windows would boot perfectly and as soon as the desktop would pop up, it would not let you run any programs. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I eventually rebooted into safe mode with networking, downloaded malwarebytes, ran a quick and full scan and found a few programs running that shouldn't have. (It's been a while. I can't remember what they were, but I had googled them at the time and their descriptions seemed to describe what it was doing to the computer). I removed those programs, but the computer still behaved the same way. I did another scan on malwarebytes and it couldn't find anything. So now I'm wondering if it's something within windows that got corrupted. I tried to do a restore point to about a month before that and nothing happened. Anyways, after all that, my sister decided to get a chromebook and move on from this.

Now it brings me to today. Recently I've run into some free time and I'm trying to fix this thing. Since my sister has given up hope on it, she's told me to do whatever I want with it, hence why I would like to attempt to do a factory restore and see if I can bring this thing back to life.

I've tried doing the factory restore a myriad of ways. I can't get the gateway recovery manager to load from the desktop. If I go into the boot screen before windows starts up (alt + F10) I get a page that doesn't allow me to do anything (unless there is something I should type in here).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79140419@N05/8914250884/

I've gone through pressing F8 on boot up, selecting "repair your computer",  go through all the system recovery options until i get to this screen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79140419@N05/8914250530/

I've tried every option on there and nothing works. The kicker too is when I follow this procedure on Gateway's support page (see link, step 8. I'm also aware that it says "Vista" in the link but it's what popped up when I put in Windows 7):

https://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/vista/7515418/7515418su531.shtml

, they say there should be another option below command prompt that says "recovery manager."  (Anyone know if this feature still exists in 7?)

Anyways, I feel like I'm going nowhere fast with this and I'm wondering if there are any other options available or if there is something I missed. The machine physically seems to be running fine. It has an intel i3 processor, speakers work, keypad is responsive, cd drive opens and closes. It works perfectly except that it won't run any programs. I'll click chrome for example, it'll look like it's doing something and then just stop. I don't know too much of the specs since it wasn't my computer originally and I haven't been able to access that information.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Trying to factory restore Gateway Nela0 with windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 11:09:08 AM »
    Are you sure it didn't have Win7 installed on it over a Vista install ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pilotguy118

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
      Came straight out of the box new with windows 7 installed. And as far as I know it hasn't been changed.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
      Doesn't make sense that all recovery options were tried and didn't work...
      Your next option would be to contact the Manuf. and order the Recovery DVD's...normally a nominal charge + shipping.
      Keep us posted.

P.S. You may want to check if it's still under warranty...if so i'd return it for a replacement.

pilotguy118

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:02:31 PM »
        It's no longer under warranty. I think it was purchased in October of 2010 and I checked earlier on gateway's website. I have the recovery disc we made when the computer was first purchased though.

I've never completely wiped a computer back to it's factory defaults before (since this computer is just sitting around as it is, I'm just trying to play around with it and make it work again. If I mess anything up it's no big loss).

Assuming, everything did work properly, am I at least on the right track as to how to restore it?

pilotguy118

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
          Just an update on what I've done.

I still haven't fixed it, but I was able to get a little further along. I had to go into the BIOS and enable the "F12 boot menu" option. I then selected the cd drive and inserted the recovery disc. It started to go into the automatic startup repair, but I cancelled that (I've already tried it a bunch of times to no success). When I hit cancel it brought me back to the "system recovery options" screen from before, but this time under where it says "command prompt" it now finally said "Recovery Manager." I clicked that and it brought me into the "Gateway Recovery Managment" menu  (see link). My problem now is that it won't let me click the link to completely restore it back to factory defaults.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79140419@N05/8918921346/

The only thing I can do is click exit.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:57:57 AM »
          Then follow my suggestion above...
          Somehow with all the tinkering the Factory Restore partition has gotten corrupted i suspect.

It's never a good idea to interrupt any of those functions once they have been initialised...no good can come of that.

pilotguy118

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
            Thanks for the input. It's probably the best option.