Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Asus N90sc Bios chip  (Read 4820 times)

terabyte

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Asus N90sc Bios chip
    « on: June 01, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
    hi,

i need help locating the bios chip on asus n90s
    if someone could help me out and tell me where the bios chip is located would solve my problem
    i have flashed a wrong image onthe bios now im trying to replace with a new one.
    here are the motherboard pictures and hopefully you can see something that could be the bios chip

link motherboard pictures
    http://postimg.org/gallery/481p9eba/1571e4c1/

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Asus N90sc Bios chip
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-N90S-Intel-Laptop-Motherboard-60-NXYMB1000-A01-Tested-/271113913463?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3f1fa60477#ht_647wt_1170

This chip in attached pic looks like it could be a flash chip for the BIOS, but no info online to confirm without reading that chips part number. If you can read the alpha-numeric numbers off of this square ship circled in red and google it, it will tell you what type of chip it is. Its located near the cmos battery which is a good placement for this to be the flash chip, but I'd double check before attempting to remove. Some manufacturers hid the battery and bios flash chips around the RAM slots. From this ebay pic of the motherboard I am unable to see what is under that black plastic that appears to be in a RAM slot area, and that BIOS chip may be under it. They are generally square flash chips with pins on all 4 sides in all I have seen. Newer flash chips can also have square chip with all solder contacts not exposed but underside surface mount contacts and you would need proper surface mount IC removal tools to remove without damaging the motherboard!

But also given the chips location it could also be part of the charging/monitoring circuit due to the filtration I see between this chip and cmos battery and the connector to the right of it with the contact blades for the laptop battery.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

terabyte

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
      hi
      thanks for your fast reply
      i have looked at the chip and searched the name and numbers couldnt find anything that is a flash or bios chip
      the name was
      MAXIM
      170DE
      TJ005 or it could be T3005

i also removed the black tape that was under the memmory slots noting of any kind of chip was there.

any other placed i could look that might be a bios chip.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
      Don't let me spoil your fun.
      But.... recently there was a post on the forum similar to yours.  At the end, it seems that replacing the BIOS chip is not a viable option.

Some individuals have done it, but it is much more difficult that it would seem. You should contact the maker of the computer or the motherboard and find out what they would charge to do the job for you.
      Please respond. Many here would like to know if there is a practical way to replace the BIOS chip.

mochronik

Rookie
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:09:14 AM »
        We talked about this on the chat for at least 2 hours, you made a mistake switching
        people were telling you to buy a new motherboard

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
        Now days BIOS chips are never put in sockets anymore. They are soldered onto the board because there is no reason to replace them. The makers of the boards warn everybody about the hazards of doing a flash of the BIOS chip.
        The right program from the maker of the motherboard will do the job right.Anything else is much too great a risk.

Removing the ICs from a motherboard requires a solder station that costs more than the mortarboard. Hard-Core hobbyists will try it  because it is a challenge.
        Look at this:
        http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Bios-Chip-Removal-Guide