Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with IE control  (Read 2770 times)

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Problem with IE control
« on: May 26, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »
I am having a problem with what I think is the IE control that programs can use to display html. Whenever I open a program that uses the IE web browser control, it asks me to download whatever file it is trying to display instead of displaying it. It is getting extremely annoying because I have to cancel the download and then nothing is displayed in the frame. I can't open mmc because it uses html and a bunch of other programs. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE tell me why it is trying to download the files instead of just showing them? Is there an installation program I can use to either replace or fix anything related to the IE web browser control?
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Problem with IE control
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »
The version of IE wasn't mentioned...
However  See Here...  for a fix...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Linux711

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Programming Blog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
After trying what you suggested and a ton of other stuff, I began exporting registry keys from a working machine. I started with the \software\microsoft\internet explorer key and the internet settings key which didn't do anything. I eventually decided to export the entire classes key which fixed the problem. I had to do a reg clean after though because there were many programs and components on the machine I copied from that were not on the destination machine. So it was probably just some type of file association problem because that's what the classes key is for as far as I know.
YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:18:14 PM »
I never recommend hackin the registry as a solution for anything...however i'm glad it worked for you.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "