Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stuttering in games and scratchy audio.  (Read 3005 times)

dustynana

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Stuttering in games and scratchy audio.
    « on: June 08, 2013, 05:10:47 AM »
    Hey, i am getting an issue where for instance i'm playing Alan Wake or some DayZ and my frame rate would be running at about 50-61 and suddenly drop to about 15 fps and i would get a repetitive and scratchy audio. I usually fix this by restarting my desktop, but another half hour or so later it happens again. I recently upgraded my GPU to a GTX 660 but this didnt happen until about a month and a half after installing the card. I have been trying to fix it for a couple weeks, some say its audio drivers or overheating but i have tested with different drivers and my CPU/GPU never goes further than 65C, but that's with games like Battlefield 3 which don't have this problem as bad.

This is my build.

-An Asus P8h77-VLE motherboard
    -I5 3570k CPU
    -GTX 660 GPU
    -Seagate 1tb HDD
    -2x4gb ddr3 RAMM
    -450watt PSU
    This happens more with some games than others, it was awful with Alan wake...not as bad with others, has a problem with Napoleon Total War.

It actually also did this while watching videos on internet explorer but i don't have a problem with Chrome, this really confused me. I read something about it maybe being a power supply failure, i used one of those calculators and it said a 400watt psu is recommended.

aQuilla

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Stuttering in games and scratchy audio.
      « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 07:48:09 AM »
      This should be power supply problem mate. I've seen your specs and yes a 400W PSU COULD BE enough but it will surely overheat when playing demanding games like what you are playing. All things have certain tolerance and I think your PSU have reached the max tolerance it can handle. I suggest you get a 700-900w PSU not just for your current built but also for future upgrades like your GPU.

dustynana

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
        Re: Stuttering in games and scratchy audio.
        « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:19 AM »
        Thanks, i had a feeling it had something to do with the PSU. You know of any that would be effective...like a certain brand that isn't not to costly.