Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows xl reinstall  (Read 3601 times)

Loobieburt

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows xl reinstall
    « on: June 15, 2013, 07:19:56 AM »
    I have been asked to look at a friends dell 910
    He tried to free up some space and theft he pc would not boot.
    He added the windows xl disk he had and tried a fresh install and it came up with windows setup blue screen.
    If you select install windows xp press enter.
    It now says unpartitioned space 39mb
    C: partition 1 7286mb 535mb free
    It will only allow me to create a 31mb partition and that's not enough space for the xp
    It won't let me delete c: as it contains temporary setup files .
    All original disks with an external cd rom rw

How can I delete the c : and start again?
    Any help would be appreciated, there is no f11 and it only goes upto f10

Many thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows xl reinstall
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:21:04 PM »
    You will want to delete the original C: partition, as long as no important data remains on the hard drive, and create a new C: partition using all space. This is an option in the blue installation menu.

8GB hard drive is very tight for a Windows XP install as for if you have 512MB RAM, 1.5GB of the hard drive is consumed in swap space leaving 6.5GB free for the OS to reside. Windows XP Pro SP2 installs clean consuming around 3GB of hard drive the last time I installed it to a small hard drive which was 6.4GB and system with 256MB RAM. I ran into issues quickly when I had very little space left to take the many security updates and software.

If you can get a 20GB hard drive or larger to use on this computer you would get better performance as well as not paint yourself into a corner with running out of space to install programs and personal data. Larger drives perform better since they do not have to sweep large areas of the drive to acquire the data to read/write as well as some of them are higher RPMs such as an upgrade from 5400 RPM drive to 7200 RPM drive etc.  Performance on this 8Gb drive will be very laggy at boot up and running programs even if you have lots of RAM because the OS will have to load off of at least 33% of the space.

Loobieburt

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Windows xl reinstall
      « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:19:19 AM »
      Thank you for your reply.
      In the blue menu it gives the option bt won't delete the c file because it contains setup information.

It is a friends pc so they probably won't want to upgrade as they only use it for the web.

I have the original disks

Any other ideas?

Many thanks