Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Vista computer - Keeps running CHKDSK and hanging at black screen.  (Read 3629 times)

simplyTechy100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
     ??? This is a Acer computer I am posting on, but this happened (I think) sometime in May. This problem is that it first hangs at a black screen for a long time, shows the bootscreen, runs CHKDSK, then does the same thing over and over. They put the computer monitor up and put the case in my room. (Yes, I am a tech 100%, as you can see by my username.) I do not know what caused this problem. HP Recovery did not work, it lagged when it was gonna run the Microsoft System Restore. What exactly causes this problem on an HP machine? Anyways, the edition is Home Premium. Service pack, I do not know. Whatever is causing the problem, tell me. The computer has the browsers Firefox and IE. It is mainly used by one of our people in our family, Eddie, for him to download pictures and watch YouTube videos. He sometimes opens stuff from his history. I am sure his life without a computer would be bad. He has like 100's of pictures on there!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Sounds most likely the HDD is failing...backup what you need ASAP and replace it.
    There may not be much time left...the more you run it the further you get from data recovery.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

simplyTechy100

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
      -.- The power supply went out, how can we back up the HDD? I think I saw some Windows 7 Home Premium CD's before in our house, but no Vista Home Premium.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      The system is running autocheck, but that does not run it with any switches so it is useless. You need to run chkdsk /r manually