Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 does not share with XP wimpy wireless.  (Read 3570 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Windows 7 does not share with XP wimpy wireless.
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:54:45 PM »
My DSL router is both Ethernet and 802.11g wireless with wimpy security.  Up until yesterday both my Windows XP  laptop and my Windows 7 desktop could share files.
There was an update for Windows 7. I let it. Later found I could no more see my XP work group. Nor could I find it.

After trying overt and overt and over, I tried direct Ethernet from Desktop to Laptop. No problem, *censored* it now is a new network. But I can't leave it that way. The internet does not work that way. So I disabled the Ethernet adapter on the Windows 7 PC. When I want o share files, I will enable it again.

So, from the one scenario, I guess MS has upped the security requirement for using wireless to share files. That is understandable. My security is poor.

I am just going to leave it for now. But do any  of you know more about this? Has MS raised the wireless security requirement for Windows 7?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 7 does not share with XP wimpy wireless.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:31:21 AM »
Have you tried simply uninstalling the update to see if it resolves the issue?

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:24:32 AM »
Calum, I meant to say that I did install the update and the problem began. Also, I did not make clear that my wireless is WEP. I think that Windows 7 will not allow XP computer  to join the network using WEP wireless.
There is no problem using Ethernet for a direct connection from th XP laptop to the Windows 7 desktop. Si fir biw, I will just leave it that way. Maybe later I will change my wireless to a more secure protocol.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
I understand.  You installed the update, then the network stopped working, right?  So why not try uninstalling the update, to see if the network then works again?
However, if you can use anything better than WEP, just do that - WEP is horribly insecure and I wouldn't consider using it myself.  Time to come into the 21st century and switch to WPA-2!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »
Sometimes a Win Update will simply make small changes such as turning off file and print sharing which is the default setting...have you checked any of these on your connections ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

simplyTechy100

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
    Calum, We have a WPA-2 network with some random numbers and letters as the password, and a guest account with no password for visitors. We use our WPA-2 for all devices, Our laptops, My work center, My Nook Tablet "for fun", etc.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:41:07 PM »
    Calum, We have a WPA-2 network with some random numbers and letters as the password, and a guest account with no password for visitors. We use our WPA-2 for all devices, Our laptops, My work center, My Nook Tablet "for fun", etc.
    I'm sure this helps Geek-9pm somehow.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.