Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Having Trouble with Network Connection  (Read 5235 times)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Having Trouble with Network Connection
    « on: June 09, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »
    Recently I'm having this problem with my home network.

I'm using a D-Link DSL-2640B router with 4 LAN ports and wifi.

From time to time the cable connections are down while the wifi still works, i.e. all PC/laptop connected via LAN cables lost the connection, while all devices connected via wifi has no problem connecting.

I have to restart the modem to get it working again.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      Re: Having Trouble with Network Connection
      « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »
      Anyone?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »
      OK.
      Given that:
      {
      All wireless devices work.
      Sometimes the LAN fails. The (direct  cable to each PC or device).)
      }
      It would seem that one or more devices on the LAN is not playing nice. It either has a hardware fault or a improper network setting.
      One method is to remove half of the cables, two of the cables, and see if the problem persists. If that solves the issue, then it must be one of the other twon devices that were not connected. But if the problem persists, try the other two.
      This is a simple process of elimination. It can be time-consuming, but it is an important technique if you do not have any error messages to work with.

Last, suspect part of the router is failing. The wireless and the hub are separate chips inside the box. the LAN hub may be failing. Most often it is from heat. Try putting the box in a position where it gets  more air. Like stand it on end. Or put a desk fan nearby.  (That has worked for me!)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »
        Hi Geek,

How would a device connected via LAN causes this issue? Using up the bandwidth? 

I also suspect it's the LAN related part or the modem fails, but my tech friend says that's very rare. Usually if a modem fails, both LAN and Wifi would fail.

I don't have a spare modem to test. So I guess I'll try the first suggestion first.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »
        I also suspect it's the LAN related part or the modem fails, but my tech friend says that's very rare. Usually if a modem fails, both LAN and Wifi would fail.
        Yes, it is rare. But it happens. I have had that problem when there is high temperature. Also, even the makers of such devices say sometimes you have to power cycle the  a device. (That is admission g of weak design.)

A error in network settings  be when none of the PCs is not correctly respond to DHCP from the router. Or a protocol is out of date. You fix either  by doing the network install all over again on the trouble PC. And Windows PCs must have current updates.
        Here is material about network troubleshooting
        http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000445.htm
        Hope it helps.

Don't forget to cool off the router if it runs hot.