Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Powerline Networking?  (Read 3676 times)

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Powerline Networking?
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »
Hey guys I was thinking about purchasing a Powerline kit for use with my Blu-Ray Player. Now my Blu-Ray Player only has an Ethernet port and if I want the most out of it I need to connect to the internet, update drivers, etc. Also because it serves as my home theater receiver and if want to actually spread out my satellite speakers with out the use of wiring (the speakers are wifi enabled, the receiver itself is not. I dont know why, its just is lol) and Ethernet connection is necessary. So therefore I was considering purchasing a Powerline kit instead of laying 25 ft cable from my router to my Blue ray player. Now I have absolutely no experience with power line networking, what are some of things I should be aware of when it comes to it? Some of my concerns include:

1. I live in apartment with three other units. How does that affect my powerline network with the different circuit breakers and breaker poles in my unit?

2. My apartment building itself is pretty antique, I wanna say circa 1920. I have no idea what the wiring is like or if my management company updated the wiring. I have never had any power issues before and all my electronics power fine.

3. Since I'm in a multi-unit apartment building, how does network security work? Are a majority of powerline kits encrypted? Or will being on different circuit breakers take of care of security?

4. Realistically what sort of performance should I expect? Is it worth investing in?

5. Which powerline standard should I go with, HomePlug AV, UPA, or HD-PLC?

6. Any good powerline kit recommendations?

Thanks in advance for all the help, I appreciate it greatly!

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Powerline Networking?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »
I've had several powerline kits, and have been impressed with the results versus wireless networking.
To answer your questions...
1) This is impossible to answer until you get the adapters in, to be honest.  I've never had a kit fail to work outright, if your wiring is old or there's a lot of "noise" on the circuits then you should expect a performance drop though.
2) See above.  You may see a loss of performance but it's impossible to say before you give them a go.
3) It's possible that the signal will go through different circuits.  I never had a security concern with mine because my neighbours didn't use anything of the sort.  Most do seem to come with some kind of encryption nowadays, whereas the kits I've used didn't because they're quite old now.
4) Again, it's impossible to say as it depends on your wiring and circuit layout.  I only used mine for an internet connection of 30Mbps, and they handled that perfectly.  I never used them for file transfers so I couldn't comment on the network performance.  From other people's experience, I think you could expect close to their advertised rate (e.g. if they advertise 500mbps you should get close to that) in ideal circumstances.  That may sound like a silly statement but you don't always get what's advertised, with powerline you seem to mostly get quite close though.
5) Homeplug AV seems to be more common than the others, at least around here.  I would go with what's most common as you then have more options for extending the network with compatible adapters at a later date, if necessary.
6) I've been out of the powerline game for a while now, my last kit was bought about 3 years ago and the kits I had before that were even older.  The impression I get is that the cheaper brands have improved vastly.  I had a Devolo kit (one of the first on the market) which eventually died from overheating, a Linksys PLE200 kit which also died from overheating, then a second PLE200 kit which is still running fine today.  Devolo, ON Networks, and Netgear seem quite popular - also, it's worth looking at TP-Link, they used to be a bargain basement brand but their newer stuff is pretty decent.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:03:58 AM »
Simple answer is 'No'.
Ethernet cable is very mature and friendly  and comes in a variety of colors and lengths. And the cost very very moderate.
Power Line networking is a juvenile with behavior problems.
But I an not a trusted souse of information.  :-[
So read one or two of these
http://gallinazo.flightgear.org/technology/wifi-versus-powerline-networking/
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?257766-Powerline-Networking-Issues
The general idea is that PowerLine can go whee Wireless can not. Brick walls, steel doors and stuff like that. Otherwise, Wireless wins.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 02:12:37 AM »
Otherwise, Wireless wins.

From your first link...
"Things to watch out for" on Powerline adapters, followed by lots of "I don't know".
"All disclaimers aside, I noticed a big improvement over my existing wifi network."
So he seems pretty happy with his.

Your second link is one person on a forum having an issue which he concludes with "I never did find out what the problem was, but I think that it was a faulty powerline device (it dropped the connection even without the second device plugged in on the same floor). Since the model has been discontinued and the warranty expired, getting a wireless N receiver seemed to be the simplest option."

I don't see wireless being the better option at all, and believe me I've had a lot of experience with wireless problems.  Nobody who I've recommended powerline kits to has ever come back to me and complained about having issues.  My kit at home (now my parents' house) is still working perfectly after 4 years.  In the meantime one of the most common things I hear from friends or family is "my wireless isn't working" "my wireless keeps dropping out" "my wireless won't connect" etc etc.

Ironman

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:26:26 PM »
Thank you guys for all of the input!