Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: why does some items in my folder go missing when i copy to another location?  (Read 3951 times)

speedyallan77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    i know that windows has 255 character limit for filepaths but when it comes across that problem it wil give me a warning that filepath is too long but now when i copy some files i know that the problem maybe related to long file paths but why does it copy and delete some files without informing me?i wouldnt have know that my files went missing,but when i just checked for confirmation,many files went away.when i copied that folder back to the desktop,it regained its size and there was no problem,is there anyway to bypass this? and why did it delete without prompting?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Depends on how you "copied" them...are there sub-directories involved here ? ?

More info.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

speedyallan77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

YES THERE were sub directories in there,it was just a folder consisting of themes,my question is why dint it warn me?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      You didn't answer my question above...how are you copying ...and from where to where ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

speedyallan77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

i was copying a folder consisting of windows themes,which also had 2 subfolders inside.
        i was copying it from desktop to my documents/ownloads folder.i copied a few other themes which also had 2 to 3 subfolders within them
        to my documents/downloads folder and they copied without any problem.but when i tried to copy this particular folder,it would get copied
        but some files missing,but when i copy to any other location,it copies without any problem.
        even if it is to do with long filepath name,it normally shows me warning ;"the destintaion filepath name too long"etc.
        but this time it dint show such a warning and just deleted some files when i copied it to my documents.
        please help.
        the contents of the folders were .themepack and .theme files.

speedyallan77

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

oh almost forgot!!! i tried the same thing several times,but no avail !