Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new 'beep' inside computer every 5 minutes  (Read 5550 times)

NeedingHelp

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    new 'beep' inside computer every 5 minutes
    « on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »
    I have a Hewlett Packard desktop computer. 920 GB hard drive with 641 GB free. Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2,93GHz, 6.0GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
    Windows 7 Home - 64-bit SP1
    Purchased 4-9-10.  Had a two year warranty which is now expired.
    Computer is clean -- no dust.

Yesterday I started having a 'muffled deep beep' inside of the computer itself. (Not through the speakers.)
    There are 4 short beeps together -- and it happens exactly every 5 minutes.

I have ran ccleaner to registry. I use McAfee virus checker and have done a full scan.

What is probably/possibly making these beeps? 

Many thanks for your help!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: new 'beep' inside computer every 5 minutes
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
    Look at event log of Windows under management for any errors. Also run speedfan and check out your temps to make sure that its not a temp alarm for the CPU etc.

NeedingHelp

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 08:59:48 PM »
      Many, many thanks!  I downloaded SpeedFan and watched part of a tutorial -- enough to see the red arrows going the wrong direction!  Hmmmmm . . .  too hot!  So tomorrow I will conquer this!

I so appreciate your help!

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
      Glad to help. How hot was the CPU displaying on speedfan with the red arrow?

I would make sure the CPU heatsink is not plugged up with hair, lint, dust etc and fan blades are free of build up. A can of canned air for around $5 can blow out most build ups. If the heatsink is not plugged up with a build up, then I would remove the heatsink from the CPU carefully and replace the thermal grease which may have dried up. *Before you do this be sure to pick up new thermal grease also known as thermal compound. I like to use Arctic Silver which can be purchased at Staples, Radio Shack, and other stores that carry computer parts or purchased online.

To replace the thermal compound/grease you will want to have q-tips handy and wipe off the old likely dried up compound so that metal that is clean between the heatsink surface and the CPU top is exposed. Then apply a drop of it to the center of the CPU, and some people then apply the heatsink and allow the drop to spread out when squashed between heatsink and CPU surface. I like to apply a drop and then use a toothpick or stick of a q-tip to spread it out manually to ensure that the entire surface is coated with thermal compound/grease and this way cooling is even and I dont have to worry about an uneven bond between the CPU and heatsink. You want the thickness if you spread it out to be as thin as possible to be a sheen on the surface as for if too much is applied it will squirt out the 4 sides of the CPU and spill over onto the socket etc and make a mess. A sheen of it that is close to the thickness of paper is plenty as for not much is needed to make the thermal bond between both surfaces.

Other things that people have done to make a CPU cooler is replacing the cheap block of cast aluminum with a heatsink that is rated to cool better, but you have to make sure you get the correct heatsink, and the heatsink will clear other neighboring components. *I have seen before where someone bought a heatsink that was massive, and the side panel wouldnt shut on the computer because it stood too tall off the motherboard.

*** Also to break the bond between the old compound and free the heatsink away from the CPU, do not pull straight up as for you could rip the CPU out of the socket and damage the computer. With the tabs or clip(s) unlocked I try to rotate the heatsink clockwise and counter clockwise carefully not to break anything except for the bond between the CPU and the heatsink. Wiggling back and forth clockwise and counter clockwise will remove the bond by introducing air to the compound and the vacuum tight bond will break and it will come free. You do not need to remove the CPU, just the heatsink. The CPU heatsink will have a few wires that plug the fan into the motherboard. Keep track of where it was plugged in as for some motherboards have similar jacks nearby for chasis fan etc, and you want the CPU fan to be plugged only into the CPU fan jack.

If you have any questions feel free to ask for assistance