Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blizzard Macro & Memory Sniffers  (Read 5087 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Blizzard Macro & Memory Sniffers
« on: June 27, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »
World of Warcraft

Last night it was getting late and the guild that I am in wanted to run a few more runs, but needed 3 players of the same guild grouped to get the achievements. I told the 2 others that I will leave my character logged on and as long as they didnt break group with me that they can run the lower level stuff with their 90s and get the guild achievements.

I created a quick macro that was performed with jitbit to move the  character with arrow keys for about a second and stop. I then compiled this macro and then placed it in a folder with a batch file with a goto loop that started the macro once every 55 seconds or so ( pretty much used a ping 127.0.0.1 -n 55  delay before the start of the macro.

I placed my character in an area where people wouldnt see a character acting oddly, and started the batch and went to sleep.

I woke up 8 hrs later and my character was still on and facing a different part of the wall in the room that I placed the character in and I ended the batch file to kill this macro move process to keep connected and not get disconnected for being AFK ( away from keyboard ) too long.

The good thing is that Blizzard didnt detect this as for I have heard of but havent seen people getting banned for using macros to automate characters.

While I am not using macros to have my character play by itself to any direct benefit to not having to grind, i think it might still be a violation that can get me banned.

I have heard all sorts of ways that they can detect and ban you from the servers looking for patterns in the game play to detect if the moves are scripted as well as the World of Warcraft game client launching RAM sniffers that look for cheats and macros.

Anyone have any info on just how smart this detection is?

I hid my character from view of others who would report me as a bot if they saw movements on timed intervals.

But my biggest concern that I may not be able to hide from view is the RAM sniffers finding the macro running outside of the memory address that the game is operating in on my system. From what I have heard, the agreement of "the EULA allows Blizzard to scan all memory of the system running the game client to detect cheats that are running outside of the block of memory that the game is operating in." Initially I thought they were just sniffing for changes within the memory block that the game resides in for trying to sniff out memory injection routines to cheat by making the game client act godlike and not follow the rules that others abide to, but it sounds like they may search all memory on the system.

I was happy to wake up to my computer still running wow and moving about once every 55 seconds to stay logged on, but not getting caught this time doesnt necessarily mean that it went without detection and I wont get banned next time I try this to be able to assist the guild and sleep at the same time.

Not sure of any tools to detect the memory sniffers and watch what they are up to, such as are they only watching the memory that the game client is running in, or all system memory for bot/macro and cheat instructions?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Blizzard Macro & Memory Sniffers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:11:43 AM »
unless you give it administrator permissions I don't think programs running under the user account are able to read process memory outside their own.

Unless they install a driver, I suppose/.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Blizzard Macro & Memory Sniffers
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
hmm   Interesting...

Didnt know that user privileges can limit memory addressing (sniffing access). I figured the security built into windows mainly just write protected sections of windows for file and memory management. Whereas elevated privileges are needed to install stuff etc, and that if there was a program that was able to address RAM and perform a memory sniff it was free to do so without Windows Security blocking it, as for I would think that it would be able to read memory but not alter memory if the memory is protected from injection which I would believe it should be otherwise its prime exploit territory.

Although its a bad habit, I am the only user of my computer and run as admin 99.9% of the time, with exception to a user acct with minimal privileges when on the web in the dangerous nether outside of the normal safe websites such as mods and cheats for games that some websites in the past try to hijack the browser or download junk that wasnt requested.

Will run WoW from user account with minimal priveleges when I am going to use the macro to keep myself logged on for other users/guild benefit.