Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox 21.0 problem with iGoogle  (Read 8955 times)

Salmon Trout

Firefox 21.0 problem with iGoogle
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:50 PM »
I'm using Firefox 21.0 and I have my iGoogle page as my home page. Since about 24 hours ago, when I click on the Home button I get a page which I have seen described as a "Stock quote disclaimer". The url in the address bar is what I expect my home page to be, namely http://www.google.co.uk/ig

There is a link "Go to Google.com" and when I click that I get taken to my regular iGoogle home page, and http://www.google.com/ig is still showing in the address bar.

I have cleared the Firefox cache, history, and cookies.

It doesn't happen with IE 10.0.9200.16618, Google Chrome 27.0.1453.116 m, or Opera 12.15.

I did a Google (!) search and found references to a spate of reports of the same thing in 2011, and people were told to wait a few hours, but it has been going on for over 24 hours now.

Anybody know anything about this, or got any ideas?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Firefox 21.0 problem with iGoogle
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:00:50 AM »
Have you tried flushing your DNS cache?  I doubt that is the issue but it might be worth a shot.
Also, it might be worth trying with either a fresh Firefox profile, or a fresh install - no need to wipe your install, you could use Firefox portable, just for a test, to rule out your browser install or profile.
It's very odd that the problem is only affecting Firefox.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
Hi, Calum, thanks for replying. I've tried flushing the DNS cache, and using Google's 8.8.8.8 Public DNS, and subscribing to openDNS & then using their servers, and what I have finally done now is change my home page to www.google.com, which the Home button always takes me to, and then I just type /ig at the end in the address bar if I wish to see iGoogle, which is vanishing in November anyhow. I am fooling around with Protopage* to replace iGoogle so I guess I won't worry over much. I will now try Firefox portable...

*I have stopped, having found out about their "bait and switch" tactics (after you start using their custom "free" homepage, you get big ugly ads appearing with a "Remove these ads for $2.99 a month" message.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:40:39 AM by Salmon Trout »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »
UPDATE: I changed the url from google.co.uk/ig to google.com/ig and the home button takes me straight to my iGoogle page, no stock price disclaimer. One odd thing is that the plain vanilla Google.uk page shows a malformed Google logo which does not appear in IE10 nor does it appear in Firefox 15.0.1 running in a Linux virtual machine, or Firefox 21.0 on XP on my laptop. (none of these do the stock disclaimer thing either).

ImnoGuru

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »
    I had that exact same problem just recently Salmon Trout. The malformed Google appearing in the home screen.

Have you downloaded anything recently that might have had a subtle "I agree' greyed out section.
    Turned out to be, my page was infiltrated by Babylon.

Generally I would say to look at "Tools, Options, General" and reset the home page you desire.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:25:31 AM »
    Have you downloaded anything recently that might have had a subtle "I agree' greyed out section.

Not that I know of.

Generally I would say to look at "Tools, Options, General" and reset the home page you desire.

That setting never changed.

I changed it myself from google.co.uk/ig to google.com/ig and the problem went away. If I change it back, the disclaimer is still there.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:40:59 AM »
    Same problem with FF22?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:35:50 AM »
    Same problem with FF22?

Yes. I have just noticed that it occurs on both google.com/ig and google.co.uk/ig when the relevant domain is forbidden in NoScript and goes away when it is allowed. Strike that. It comes and goes!

I changed the url from google.co.uk/ig to google.com/ig and the home button takes me straight to my iGoogle page, no stock price disclaimer

This is no longer true. Either one gets the disclaimer. If I monkey around with User Agent Switcher I can make it go away but, it seems, not for ever.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:51:26 AM by Salmon Trout »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:45 PM »
    What happens with launching safe mode Firefox from the Start Menu ? ?
    I suspect one or more broken extensions.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 12:00:30 AM »
    What happens with launching safe mode Firefox from the Start Menu ? ?
    I suspect one or more broken extensions.

Problem does not occur in safe mode; I tried disabling extensions one by one, no change until I went to disable NoScript (version 2.6.6.6) - it suggested that this was dangerous and suggested leaving it enabled and choosing "Disable script checking globally" instead. I did this and the problem went away. I re-enabled script checking globally and it came back. I noticed that when in the iGoogle page I have 3 sites available in the NoScript right click menu - google.com, gstatic.com, and googleusercontent.com. If I allow all 3 the problem seems (for now) to go away. So thanks, Patio, for pointing me in the right direction (I think).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 07:02:44 AM »
    You're more than Welcome Salmon...
    There may be a newer update for NoScript as well...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "