Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Messed my keyboard up  (Read 2755 times)

Watergirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Messed my keyboard up
    « on: June 27, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »
    Hey, everybody. I accidentally knocked my laptop off my ottoman and now the "enter" key doesn't work. That's why I'm typing this as one long paragraph. Everytime I hit "enter" a little popup screen comes up that says hardware and sound>power options>edit plan settings. Is there a way to change the enter button back to enter? Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Messed my keyboard up
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
    Thinking you will have to replace the keyboard which is damaged. Never heard of a computer getting a macro mapping to launching that via enter key.

One test I would perform to make sure its the keyboard and not a strange macro mapping created during the fall is to attach a USB keyboard to this laptop and see if the Enter key behaves on the computer or if it also triggers this issue. USB keyboards can be picked up pretty cheap at say Walmart for like $12.88 etc.

If it behaves with a USB attached keyboard then you are looking at replacing the laptop keyboard or running the laptop with this desktop computer keyboard instead.

Watergirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »
      OK. The plug in keyboard didn't work, either. I guess I'll call Staples tomorrow. Thanks.

Watergirl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
        OK. I'm officially confused. All of a sudden, it's working again.

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
        Glad its working again... Maybe the computer was scared of Staples and decided to cooperate with you.  It was upset for being knocked off and decided to give you attitude until the threat of going back to Staples was mentioned..LOL  ;D

I'd test all your keys with notepad or a new word document open and verify that they all behave and none stick etc.