Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intermittent Laptop freezing  (Read 7689 times)

julio99

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Intermittent Laptop freezing
    « on: June 29, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
       As the title says, my laptop has been having a problem with my laptop freezing in the way of everything stops, meaning I can't move the cursor or keys. 9 out of 10 times the machine will start back by itself without any action. The one other time it will require a reboot. My machine is an Acer 8943g with Windows 7 HP/ Intel Core i5-430M processor/ ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 up to 2679MB Hyper Memory/ 8GB RAM.
       I have ran Sea Tools memory tests with full success. I have browsed the Event Viewer for errors that could be connected to the problem, but there never seems to be an error right after the event . I use ESET Nod32 AV6, SuperAntispyware with real time protection alongside eset with exclusion rules in both for each other, (the freezes were ther before I put in SAS real time and they have gotten no better or worse since) I have Comodo free firewall by itself without the Dragon browser or Geek Buddy app or Internet Security. A while back I did have an error that related to explorer.exe. It was causing Programs and Features to crash when I opened it, so I ran SFC /scannow and it went through and fixed any problems I had and P & F was working w/o a hitch. I ran chkdsk right after and it came up clean. No BSOD's so I can't use that to troubleshoot. I am kind of at a loss as to what if anything I should do to find out if there is an issue.
       I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some ideas if you know of where I can go next.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Intermittent Laptop freezing
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
    SeaTools is the HDD diagnostics...
    DLoad and run MemTest...let it run at least 1 hour. Any errors at all and you have a bad stik of RAM.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

julio99

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
      I ran Memtest v4.20 for 2 hours just for good measure and I dozed off for a bit, but it passed and I had ran  Windows own memory diagnostic before that and it also showed no errors. Any more ideas?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
      How old is the laptop?
      Have you ever opened up the case and gently blew out the dust?
      Dust can cause the temps to rise. In some cases, the fan  will stop working because of dust. Do not use high  pressure air. Use a low pressure can of air sold for this purpose.

Also, consider using the laptop on AC with the battery removed*. The battery can add to the heat load. And you may raise the laptop a half inch off the desktop. to help improve air flow and cooling.

* I was told laptops can run normally without the battery.

julio99

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »
           The Laptop is only 2 years old. Still have a year left on the warranty. I have the laptop raised on a Targus cooling pad with a nice little fan in it so it runs cool. I put it in "hibernation mode" when I turn in for the night and I reboot it at least twice a week whether it needs it or not. The CPU is running at 49c, The Motherboard is running at 43c, The Hard Drive is running at 36c. These are as we speak and the reults are by Speccy. I us the canned air on the bottom to blow out the dust from the bottom to the side vents. Works good to clear any leftover dust, or anything hanging on the fan.
           As you can see I pretty well maintain a close watch on normal laptop maintenance. I have seen some pretty clogged looking laptops in my time and it's a wonder they even work, but I swore mine would never get that way, so I take care of it.
           If you can think of anything else please jump in and let me know. Especially if it's a way to troubleshoot the problem.

lampy

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:43:19 AM »
          This is just a wild stab in the dark, but try disabling SAS for a few days
          and see if this fixes your problem. Mutual exclusion rules not
          withstanding these two resource intensive programs might be locking
          horns. Maybe not, but there's no harm in trying

HTH
          Lampy

julio99

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
            I appreciate your reply my friend but we are so far beyond that by now. There are hundreds of people I am getting not replies but responses on people that have the same issue and it is all around people who are running the latest stable version of Chrome with Windows 7 x64. This all happened after the July 9th Windows updates. The browser freezes and becomes unresponsive until you do a hard reset. Nothing else works. I have done computer reformats. Disabled all AV programs. Disabled extensions............ then I started getting the responses in the Chrome forum from hundreds of other users suffering the same problems. It only affects win 7 x64 Chrome users.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »
            I woulda dumped Chrome a Month ago...
            They are having tons of issues lately...from plugin stalls to freezing to losing saved info.

julio99

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »
              It is uninstalled. 1 week ago. You were right. It is resource intensive. What do you use?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »
              Firefox.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
              Ditto...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 12:31:18 AM »
              Ditto..

julio99

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 07:26:35 AM »
                  I am sure you guys that use Firefox now know that they have a x64 version that is built off of their model called "PaleMoon". I was using it for a while to see if it made a difference and to tell you the truth I really never found a whole lot of benefit. I ran Peacemaker to get a benchmark score on both FF and Pale Moon and they were so similar I have to wonder what is the reason for making a x64 version browser?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
                have to wonder what is the reason for making a x64 version browser?
                Because...
                Without further qualification, a 64-bit computer architecture generally has integer and addressing registers that are 64 bits wide, allowing direct support for 64-bit data types and addresses.

It is like the person who has a high speed sports car to drive in his daily commute that averages  19 miles per hour on the congested streets of Silicon Valley. The extra power is there if he ever needs it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
                ...I have to wonder what is the reason for making a x64 version browser?
                http://www.firefox64bit.com/