Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up Ubuntu Untangle on Dell Power Edge T100 II Server Machine  (Read 4112 times)

ganeshnag75

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I have purchased a Dell PowerEdge T110 II server, which is to be used for routing internet connections to numerous users. For this purpose, I intend installing Linux Untangle OS on it. The server machine I have comes with an embedded NIC and an additional PCIe NIC (OEM installed).

Being a newbie when it comes to servers, I am facing issues from the word go. I got the Untangle installation disk and was able to install the OS without any trouble. I did not change any settings on the server configuration before installing the OS.

After OS installation, the Untangle Wizard open automatically. It goes well for the first two steps. In the network settings, it shows both the NICs, one as internal and the other as external. I run into problems in configuring the external card. My ISP has provided me a static IP address. The modem provided by the ISP does not have DHCP, so I take it that I should enter the same IP address that was provided to me by the ISP for the external card. However, it does not work, and I get an error message.

I reiterate that I have not changed any settings by using Ctrl-S, Ctrl-E or F10 in the boot up process, as I was not sure of what was required to be done.
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:33:47 AM by ganeshnag75 »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Setting up Ubuntu Untangle on Dell Power Edge T100 II Server Machine
    « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 04:51:46 AM »
    Are you using this as an edge firewall?  What error message do you see?

In an edge firewall environment, the Untangle firewall would typically be assigned the external IP address and use NAT to send traffic between internal and external networks (LAN and WAN).
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos