Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Post Problem  (Read 2321 times)

gwhizz53

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Post Problem
    « on: July 04, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
    I have 5 dell GX620 small form factor computers I bought at auction. They had no HDD's. I put a HDD in them. They all have the same beep code. With no Ram, I get 2 long, 2 not as long. pause, 3 long. I get this sometimes when I put the max ram in. With switching ram around, some combinations get no beep. some 2 short beeps. When I put 1 stick at a time in each slot, I get 2 short beeps. I want to put windows xp pro on these, but they power up, but nothing on the screen. They come standard with 512 mb ram. They have at least 2 gb, some have 4gb, which is max. Could somebody tell me what else I need to do. All 5 do the same thing. Could they all have bad boards? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Post Problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
    Try them each with one stick of RAM at a time, and try several different sticks.
    Have you tried resetting the BIOS by removing all power and removing the CMOS battery for 30 minutes?
    I'm assuming you already checked the power cables, thinking specifically the 4 pin auxiliary 12V power.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Post Problem
    « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
    I suspect the incorrect speed RAM was installed by the previous owners.
    Crucial says RAM should be DDR2 PC2-5300 (DDR2-667), (non-ECC).
    Faster RAM (PC2-6400, i.e. DDR2-800) would be OK, slower will not work properly.