Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dragging Computer Poor performance  (Read 10531 times)

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Dragging Computer Poor performance
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 03:18:35 PM »
Let's do the selective startup and see what happens.

Frazzled

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »
    Hello again guys,
    Here is what I found out by doing the selective startup. If I disable Microsoft Security Essentials, ALL of my computer functions are faster and I rarely if ever hit the 100% cpu mark. For whatever reason, just by having it running, even if it is not stealing cpu cycles, seems to slow down the rest of the computer. I think when there is file access or when a program loads are the primary causes for the MsMpEng to start using lots of cpu cycles. Oh, when I was testing, I disconnected access to the internet just so a nasty wouldn't jump on me. So, now what to do? I have run into MSSE causing a slowdown before on a lesser powered machine, though the reviews put it at the top of the list for unobtrusiveness.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 06:00:33 AM »
    Replace MSE with a different av

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:38 AM »
    The easiest way to see which process is using the cycles is to open Task Manager to the Processes Tab and sort on the CPU column (with highest usage at the top). Which process is it that's spiking?
    Some services do not show in the processes of teak manager.
    Hidden Processes on Task Manager

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 10:03:51 AM »
    Some services do not show in the processes of teak manager.
    Hidden Processes on Task Manager
    The op has already identified the offending process. Also, for the umpteenth time - PLEASE -- USE A SPELL CHECKER IF YOU ARE GOING TO OFFER HELP AND USE SPEECH TO TEXT!!!! There's no such thing as a teak manager.

Frazzled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 07:32:57 PM »
      Thanks guys for the input.... Is there any way to check if there is not so much a conflict within a program and windows operating system, but rather with a program and another program. Sort of like a multiplicative effect on slowing down the system? The task manager and process explorer, just show the programs and their cpu usage. But what I am wondering is if a couple of programs use the same dll's or other library calls. Is this something debug does? Since I am not a programmer, I am at my knowledge limit here.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 09:42:15 PM »
      Anti-malware applications typically inject themselves into processes in order to examine their behaviour. Therefore if they happen to "peg" the system with high CPU usage it will be attributed to that process.

Process Explorer can also show you the threads of each process and their respective CPU usage. Security Applications will typically appear here as well. These can be identified because each Thread listed in the Process Properties (Right-Click->Properties in Process Explorer) identifies the Library.

In your case It sounds more like MSE simply didn't "get along" with your particular network configuration. It could even be a result of a semi-botched update you managed to get or any number of other factors.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Frazzled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:10 AM »
        If my antivirus is acting up, what is your suggestion on how to fix this if at all possible. As you know, XP and MSE have both have had hundreds of updates. There is just an overall problem with extended cpu spiking. As I described before, Firefox will spike it for between 30 and 60 seconds when starting and between 15 and 30 seconds to change pages. Java will spike the cpu also for quit a bit of time as well depending on what java app I am running. While running my computer normally, I usually get a cycling of between these three primary offenders that slow down my computer. I am hoping there is some way to track this down without wiping and reinstalling my hard drive and OS.
        Thanks again for your time guys....

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
        Try Avast Free Antivirus.  It seems to work well on old/slow computers.
        http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/tech/

Frazzled

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
          Thanks Computer Commando, I will download the program and try it to see if I can squeeze a little more life out of my computer. I wish I hadn't allowed all the programs to update themselves as everything was working fine before. The programmers should warn us that the newer versions are resource hogs before they dump them on us. It was a while back I can remember that MSE was considered resource light and not a bad program.... then they start making "improvements" Same goes for Firefox as well. Now I don't see much difference between IE and FF in the browser department.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »
          Thanks Computer Commando, I will download the program and try it to see if I can squeeze a little more life out of my computer. I wish I hadn't allowed all the programs to update themselves as everything was working fine before. The programmers should warn us that the newer versions are resource hogs before they dump them on us. It was a while back I can remember that MSE was considered resource light and not a bad program.... then they start making "improvements" Same goes for Firefox as well. Now I don't see much difference between IE and FF in the browser department.

Everybody using the software in question is having the problem you have, so asserting a direct correlation is a fallacy.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.