Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: shortcomings in Forbes article on Windows 8  (Read 6893 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
shortcomings in Forbes article on Windows 8
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
This is not a question, just a comment. I just read an article critiquing Windows 8 and I noticed flaws in it.  The article is at http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2013/05/22/five-ways-microsoft-can-fix-windows-8/

The paragraphs in it are numbered.  I found par. #2 to be partially erroneous.  Aero Snap does work in Windows 8 IF you are working with programs on the desktop, not Windows 8 apps that appear on the Start screen.   For example, a browser window and a Word window can be assigned exactly half of the desktop by using Snap.  The 75/25 split mentioned in the article applies when displaying a Desktop program and a Win 8 app on the screen at the same time.  And, I agree that the user should be able to control the proportions of that screen split. 

I thought paragraph #4 was also a bit deficient by not mentioning that Control Panel can be opened by moving the mouse pointer all the way to the lower left corner of the screen and right clicking and selecting Control Panel from the right-click menu.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: shortcomings in Forbes article on Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
This sort of summarizes one of the reasons I tend to avoid "tech journalism", personally. Often there is very little research and where there is research it's clear the author knows what they are saying is stretching the truth or only applicable in a specific context. The core problem is that they aren't writing to provide factual, accurate statements and writing; they are typically writing to match a attention catching headline that will garner clicks.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: shortcomings in Forbes article on Windows 8
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
I couldn't agree more...well stated.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "