Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Technet being retired  (Read 7220 times)

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Technet being retired
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »
This may be of interest to some here.  Microsoft is retiring the TechNet subscription program.  TechNet, for anyone not aware, is a way for you to test a wide range of Microsoft products in return for a yearly fee.  The Standard subscription allows access to most standard home products, the professional subscription gives access to more enterprise focused products.
This is, or was, a great way to learn more about Microsoft software, and evaluate it.  It's not for personal or production use, it's purely for testing, but it is/was a very valuable resource.  I let my subscription lapse this year as I felt I had got what I needed out of it, but it was a very worthwhile investment for the time I had it.
MS will be honouring all current subscriptions, and new subscriptions can still be purchased until August 31st 2013.  in other words, if you're on the fence, buy it now and you'll still be able to use it for a year - otherwise, it's MSDN or nothing.

Link - http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Re: Technet being retired
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 08:07:18 AM »
Sad Day...
I probably won't re-up as i pretty much have most everything i need archived....but it is a shame they are pulling the plug.
Best kept secret for years and years.

RIP TechNet.

MSDN is an alternative...but nowhere as cheap.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
Indeed...MSDN is ££££.  I also archived everything I could before letting my subscription lapse, but was planning on re-subbing in a few years to get whatever has been released in the meantime.

RIP TechNet indeed, one of the most useful tools/websites and one of the best value for money purchases I ever made.

There's also Dreamspark for students which is free, but the software included in that is very limited (a couple of editions of Server 08 and 2012, and some development tools) as it's for a specific purpose rather than general testing and evaluation.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »
 Yep - received this today:

Microsoft is retiring the TechNet Subscription service.

As IT trends and business dynamics have evolved, so has Microsoft’s set of offerings for IT professionals who are looking to learn, evaluate and deploy Microsoft technologies and services. In recent years, we have seen a usage shift from paid to free evaluation experiences and resources. As a result, Microsoft has decided to retire the TechNet Subscriptions service and will discontinue sales on August 31, 2013.       
Additional Information:
More background on Microsoft’s decision to retire the TechNet Subscription service and the implications for current subscribers is available on the TechNet Subscriptions Retirement FAQ page.

Subscribers with active accounts may continue to access program benefits until their current subscription period concludes.

We are committed to helping customers through this transition phase and will remain focused on providing IT professionals with free access to a broad set of TechNet assets that support the needs of IT professionals around the world.

Improved Free Offerings for IT Professionals Include:
•   TechNet Evaluation Center: Free evaluation software with no feature limits, available for 30-180 days. Includes rich evaluation resources and TechNet Virtual Labs, which enable you to evaluate software without the need to install bits locally.
•   Microsoft Virtual Academy: Free online learning site, with over 200 expert-led technical training courses across more than 15 Microsoft technologies with more added weekly.
•   TechNet Forums: Free online forums where IT professionals can ask technical questions and receive rapid responses from members of the community.
Please note, MSDN Subscriptions provide a paid set of offerings that are also available for those who require access to evaluation software beyond what the above free offerings provide.
Thank you for your understanding as we increase focus on growing and investing in our free offerings to better meet the needs of the IT professional community.
Do not reply to this e-mail. This message was sent to you using an automated system. This e-mail alias is not monitored for replies.
- TechNet Subscription Team

Microsoft respects your privacy. Review our online Privacy Statement.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA, USA 98052

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
One alternative could be 'bizspark'
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 05:00:53 AM »
There is now a petition going for MS to either continue TechNet or create an affordable alternative to MSDN.
Link - http://www.change.org/petitions/continue-technet-or-create-an-affordable-alternative-to-msdn

I've signed it, for what it's worth...I doubt it'll change their collective mind but it's worth a shot.  I honestly don't see how they expect IT professionals to evaluate and test their products going forward, MSDN is out of reach for most and Bizspark/Dreamspark are only available to those meeting the criteria.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »
I think the decision was partially influenced by the fact that almost every single pirated copy of MS products was tracable to Technet, and many people were using it as a unilateral replacement to actually buying any MS software at all. Technet had basically become MS-sanctioned Piracy on a subscription basis, because very few were mindful of the particulars of license restrictions, simply because it was left to their own discretion.

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 05:40:38 AM »
I agree, TechNet wasn't being used for its intended purpose by everybody, but it's another sad case of the minority spoiling it for the majority.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 05:56:01 AM »
Well i never burned or copied any of them and gave it away...
Only ones i gave away were ones i did not use and even then only to people i know and trust...

At any rate for what it's worth i signed the petition...

Calum

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 05:59:51 AM »
Me neither, I used it for the purpose it was intended for - to evaluate and test a variety of software, some of which I had never come across before seeing it on there, and some of which I would never have had access to were it not for TechNet.  The petition seems to be gathering momentum so we can only hope it at least gives them something to think about.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »
Only ones i gave away were ones i did not use and even then only to people i know and trust...

That was in violation of the technet user agreement, then.

You may not share, transfer, resell, or assign your subscription or the software.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
I stumbled on this  Article which some may find useful.

I like this part:

And several Microsoft MVPs have spoken out in support of that petition as well.
As if a person having an MVP Award is particularly meaningful in this context. (I'd say no). Being an MVP doesn't make you better than anybody else!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
That was in violation of the technet user agreement, then.

Well in fact as to the letter of the Law you are correct...
As far as abusing it for profit or other reasons mentioned i lose no sleep over it.