Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can a router affect internet speed?  (Read 3066 times)

dayboys1026

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Can a router affect internet speed?
    « on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:40 AM »
    I bought a roku , at my parents it worked great. I brought it home and it was reloading every 5 mins my computer speed it quicker than theirs so I was wondering if it was my router.
    Thank you.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Can a router affect internet speed?
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:00:45 AM »
    It could be the router, or the placement, or poor wireless signal caused by interference, distance or even the walls.
    Do you use any other devices wirelessly?  Do you have the Roku a fair distance from the router?  What kind of construction is your house?  Thick stone walls are really bad for wireless transmissions, equally if you have any metal in the way that'll do a good job of stopping the transmission.

dayboys1026

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:17:07 PM »
      It's in the same room at the other end. No walls in between. I have a tablet and 1 computer and netflix in the bedroom. It was better today but now that it's evening it's doing it again. My son has told me before that he thought our connection was worse in the afternoon. Is that even possible?

funguy11

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
        More wireless devices being used at once can clog up and slow down a wireless connection.

SuperTweaker

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:06 AM »
        A very simple test for this is to plug an Ethernet cord into your computer and run it directly to your Modem.  Do a speed test at www.speedtest.net before and after you run the cord to the modem.