Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video driver and Windows Experience Index  (Read 7380 times)

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
video driver and Windows Experience Index
« on: July 19, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
This is not a question, just a comment.  Earlier today, I installed a driver update for my laptop's display adapter.  This came from Windows Updates; it's been out there for a few months and I had avoided getting it but decided to go ahead with it today after finding some info on it that made me feel more comfortable with installing the driver.  Up to this point, I was running the drivers that came per-installed with the computer when new.

Anytime a hardware change (RAM, hard drive, etc.) is done to a computer or a driver update is installed, re-calculating the Windows Experience Index (WEI) may reveal a change in one of the WEI components.  I've seen such changes in the WEI before and the change might typically be 0.1 percentage points, and not necessarily in the positive direction.  But, in this case, I was pleasantly surprised to see a much greater change on the plus side. 

The result is shown below:
Component   Before   After
Processor:          5.5        5.5
Memory (RAM)   7.2     7.2
Graphics               4.8       6.5
Gaming graphics   6.2   6.5
Primary hard disk   5.9   5.9

Notice the big change in Graphics, and a smaller change in Gaming graphics.  I was amazed when I saw the change in Graphics. 

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: video driver and Windows Experience Index
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
It's funny how certain drivers do have a massive impact on the WEI score.
I tend to avoid graphics drivers from Windows Update unless that's the only place I can get them from (i.e. it's an ancient card).
What chip is it, out of interest?

soybean

Topic Starter

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
It's an AMD Radeon HD 7420G.  After the update, Device Manager shows:
Driver date: 9/18/2012
Driver version: 8.982.10.6000

I just found a more recent driver at http://www.amd-drivers.com/download-RadeonHD7420G-mobility-driver-for-Windows7-64bit.html

Maybe I'll be updating again soon.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »
I always get the driver from the manufacturer, because I often run into issues with the WU provided driver - either that or they're horrendously out of date.
Interesting that it's had such a big jump in WEI, even though the score is pretty much meaningless.  I really wish they would make the scale work properly, at the minute it doesn't measure anything meaningful and the scale is senseless.  It had the potential to be such an incredibly useful tool.

I realise that sounds like I'm just putting your experience down and it's not intended in that way - updating the driver is a good thing and it should give you better performance anyway.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »
even though the score is pretty much meaningless.  I really wish they would make the scale work properly, at the minute it doesn't measure anything meaningful and the scale is senseless.  It had the potential to be such an incredibly useful tool.

I'm going to have to partly disagree. One of the primary advantages and purposes of WinSAT is to make it so that all Windows Applications and Games can use essentially the same benchmark tests- done by the system- and those ratings can be done independent of the Application.

As for what it measures- actually the ratings themselves are a very brief summary of the data that is collected. There are a huge number of XML files found in %SystemRoot%\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore that you can peruse to see the various measurements made that arrive at that score. Some isolated examples picked from only my Graphics WinSAT data include information about the Pixel Shader Version supported, Resolution, etc. It appears There are numerous tests that use various capabilities, such as texturing, multitexturing, alpha blending, large amounts of polygons, etc.

CPU Scores are calculated using a similar scheme. According to the assessment data it appears to record similar statistics such as total bytes throughput while performing streaming encoding and decoding and encryption/decryption (or both), compression tests, and of course standard mathematic functions and the use of various math instructions. These are recorded in what seems to be pretty good detail- I can look back to when I last ran the test on March 10th, 2010 and see that it took my CPU 732572047  clock ticks to complete the compression assessment using a single thread, and only 182810123 ticks using four threads; It even appears to have data that records the same test being run across the different cores by forcing affinity.

Seems fairly exhaustive. I say I partly disagree, though, because unfortunately no applications actually use it that way and so far it's just been used as a rating for people to compare.

This might seem like a bit of a tangent, but I think it partly explains how the jump would have occurred, particularly on a laptop. Laptops don't generally have very powerful graphics processors, and a lot of the actual Oomph for 3-D acceleration is actually taken on by the Driver software itself. Since the Driver is the thing doing all the work, new versions can make huge improvements to the apparent speed of the thing they are allegedly driving. Even by implementing their own device-sensitive algorithm for specific capabilities can give big gains; if Direct3D cannot find the capability exposed through the Driver on the graphics card, it will just go "ok, fine," and emulate it itself. But that logic will be more or less device agnostic; if the Device driver says "nope, I don't support that Graphics Extension/Capability" in one version, DX will emulate it which will slow things down. If in a later version it says "yep, I support it" and then implements it using an algorithm that involves heavy direct work with the graphics adapter, that is going to end up faster simply because it is more "Direct".

This of course applies with standard "Graphics" which I think measures 2-D Desktop performance. There are numerous accelerator features provided by the video card for features we now take for granted like alpha blending and stretching and resizing bitmaps and whatnot. If these are implemented mostly in the driver software and that driver software happens to improve those implementations, you get faster performance.

Interesting side note: Windows 8.1 has removed the UI for any WinSAT features. That is, you cannot get it anymore.

You can still run the WinSAT tests by running 'Winsat formal' at the command prompt and reading the formal report from the dataStore folder described above.

(Apparently, my laptop now scores 3.6 for Graphics where before Windows 8.1 it scored 3.5- This is clearly the happiest day of my life.)

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »
Seems like you're following me and correcting me lately BC :P guess I need to sharpen up a little!
You're absolutely right that the WEI does measure performance, what I'm saying is that the scale doesn't necessarily translate to real world performance, and it's a shame that it isn't better in that respect because then it could be used for its original purpose - for example games could be released with a minimum requirement of WEI 6.5, recommended 7.8, instead of a list of specifications that the average person doesn't understand.
Your explanation of how a driver can make an impressive difference to the score especially on an integrated or lower end card makes perfect sense though.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 10:14:48 AM »
what I'm saying is that the scale doesn't necessarily translate to real world performance, and it's a shame that it isn't better in that respect because then it could be used for its original purpose - for example games could be released with a minimum requirement of WEI 6.5, recommended 7.8, instead of a list of specifications that the average person doesn't understand.
I think the issue is that it's hard to measure real-world performance from software, and it needs to measure stuff like FPS and average FPS and total FPS and stuff. Sort of like ClearType, which you really need to have the user decide what looks best. I think  the WEI is used for some games, or at least they have recommended and required settings.

I wouldn't know precisely how well it translates to real world performance, though; I've certainly not used nearly as many machines and differnet hardware setups as you have, so I'll defer to your experience on that one :).

Arguably, the WEI score is at least something to go on. I think it's fair to say, for example, that a System that get's 2.0 isn't going to be running Crysis, and you can see which components are dragging the score down to see which would be the ideal to upgrade. In that sense it sort of has a use and purpose.

It would appear that at least in some sense, MS agrees with you on this though- As I noted 8.1 actually removes any visible reference to the WEI index score, Though I don't know if maybe it's just disabled/removed in the preview.

Another issue is that it only tests DX stuff, and OpenGL and Direct3D can sometimes perform differently on different hardware. It also only tests specific DX versions too. So it's a very exhaustive test of a very specific area (if that makes sense)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.