Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to add expanable menu items to desktop context menu...  (Read 3999 times)

Lateralus138

Topic Starter

• Incessantly Intrepid
    • My Deviant Gallery
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
How to add expanable menu items to desktop context menu...
« on: July 23, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
Hi all, I've been editing my desktop right click context menu items for years via HKCR\Directory\Background|Shell, but have never been able to figure out if you can add an expandable menu for items. Is there a way to do it? Sort of like the New>Text File etc... I would like to be able to add programs to open from the menu without having a long list. I don't care for too many shortcuts on the desktop and I know how to run everything from Run or cmd, but I want to make a menu to make it easy for my wife to just right click and run something. For example I have about 10 games I would like to have in a menu, Have one entry "Games" then expands to show all the available games and then have a "Programs" expandable menu as well with maybe more expandable items under it to organize the different types of programs.

I know it doesn't really matter much, but I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
Big Daddy

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How to add expanable menu items to desktop context menu...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »
This would require a custom Shell Extension.

I found a tool called simply "Context Menu" that appears to provide functionality that might work for you.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:29:05 PM »
Context Menu Editor still works real well...you may have to hunt for the Free version however...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lateralus138

Topic Starter

• Incessantly Intrepid
    • My Deviant Gallery
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »
OK thanks guys I figured there was probably a program, but I was hoping I could do it myself without 3rd party programs :'( lol I'm used to doing things manually. I'll check out what you guys mentioned... Appreciate your help!!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:14:48 PM by Lateralus138 »
Big Daddy