Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What happened to Freeware Handy Notes?  (Read 4349 times)

flashygram

What happened to Freeware Handy Notes?
« on: October 15, 2005, 01:24:36 AM »
About a year ago I had a freeware program called Handy Notes.  It was great.  I could easily access it and could any notes or numbers in order and pull them up very quickly.  I had to switch computers and now I can find Handy Notes but I can't seem to get it installed.  It there a program out there very similar to it.  It was great for phone numbers, SSN's, web site user name and passwords, etc..  I really need a program like this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: What happened to Freeware Handy Notes?
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 04:41:37 AM »
    Perhaps you should find out why you can't install handy notes.
    Why can't you install it? Where do you get it? I'll give it a try for you.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 06:44:14 AM »
    Fed, if you want to try it, use this link.... I think it's the right one...  ;)  http://www.download.com/HandyNotes/3000-2351_4-10123197.html?tag=lst-0-2 ... Flashygram, where did you download your current copy?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

flashygram

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 01:44:53 PM »
    I originally got handy notes from HandyNotes.com.  I just tried your link.  It downloads ok but I can't run it.  I always get this same message.  Big red circle with black X in middle and it says, "There was a problem loading your notes.  The notes file (HandyNotes.xml) might be corrupted.  Please refer to he README.TXT file.
    Error:  Illegal XML character:  �.
    I referred to the section about download problems and tried again but still no luck.  I don't understand this.  It's too technical for me.  I do have automatic updates and as far as I know I have service pk.2 also.  Now what?
    Thanks!  I'd do just about anything to get this program back up & running!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 02:39:51 PM »
    Worked for me. Was it uninstalled properly? What else happened when this quit working?

flashygram

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 03:38:42 PM »
    I assume it was originally uninstalled properly since it was done by a computer tech that was highly recommended.  A little background,  my hubby passed away and I returned my son's to him and took over my hubby's PC.  he computer tech was supposed to restore  hubby's to original or wipe it clean but I don't think the tech actually removed any programs.  He then put on the programs that I wanted on there.  He made a CD with handy notes & incredimail so he could put it on my hubby's PC which I was now going to use.  Neither worked.  I had to download IncrediMail again and I have not been able to download handy notes since.  The tech told me that my hubby didn't have the disc to wipe everything clean so he had to do it manually.  There are some things that still come up under rons documents but they are things I use.  Am I totally messed up?  I have to leave for about 2 hours or so but will be back soon & anxiously await any suggestions you have.  Thanks a bunch!  

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 03:51:10 PM »
    So it sounds like there were other problems as well. I wish you had a knowledgable person nearby who could a) Restore things to a working state, and b) save all necessary data, if any when doing that.

There are obviously things wrong with Windows in that system that a good reformat and reinstall could fix.

flashygram

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 10:11:29 PM »
    Well the tech was supposed to be the best in his testing and he didn't even go to school.  Apparently my hubby accidently got rid of the disc that was needed to wipe out all his info. and I don't know if any other copies could be obtained.  I can't fault the tech. for that. So I guess this means I'm just out of luck for handy notes.  I'm not sure what the little spam thingy means that says triple posters will be sent to the sin bin but if I have asked for too much help, I'm really sorry.  Thanks for what you were able to help me with.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 10:37:52 PM »
      flashygram.........
      I'm not sure what the little spam thingy means that says triple posters will be sent to the sin bin but if I have asked for too much help, I'm really sorry.

Not to worry , your not a triple poster........( that means someone who postes the same thing 3 times ).......

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 10:38:15 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 11:20:30 PM »
      I'm not sure what the little spam thingy means that says triple posters will be sent to the sin bin but if I have asked for too much help, I'm really sorry.  Thanks for what you were able to help me with.

You are not a triple poster. That means starting 3 different threads in the forum asking the same question. The spam is.....spam.

Good luck on this issue.
      « Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 11:20:53 PM by GX1_Man »

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 11:43:32 PM »
        http://www.handynotes.com/

The page cannot be displayed
        The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Are you sure you have the correct address?

Mac

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2005, 11:04:50 AM »
        Downloads OK for me from Download.com

Which make and model of computer do you have? If you right-click My Computer and open Properties which Processor do you have , how much RAM is fitted and if you have SP2 it should say so.

If you haven't tried it before you could install Opera 8.5, a fast tabbed browser with no advertising, which is completely free and has voice to read the pages to you.

Click the link below for more info.