Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS graphics card disabled  (Read 2637 times)

Ghaznavid

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    BIOS graphics card disabled
    « on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
    I may be up for some form of award for most stupid thing ever done, but hopefully someone out there knows how to fix this.

Basically I instaled a new graphics card on my computer, I turned it on all working fine. Windows asked me to restart, so I did.

It proceeded to load the visuals through the old onboard graphics card (after nothing coming on screen and me plugging my monitor back into the onboard port), so I restarted the computer and went into BIOS and disabled the onboard graphics.

Now when I turn it on, no matter which VGA port I plug my monitor into, nothing is coming onto the screen. It waits about 30 secs and then beeps once long and twice short (apparently this is error 5001 according to a google search - that is apparently a graphics card error).

Any ideas on how to fix this?  ???

Thanks  ;D
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Seuss

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: BIOS graphics card disabled
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
    Remove the new graphics card.
    Restart the computer, use the original VGA port.
    Of that does not fix it, remove the CMOS cell, wait a bit, replace it.

This would force the BIOS to go back to factory settings.
    Next time, do not disable the video in BIOS until you are sure you have everything the way you want it. But I double there is any advantage of disabling the on-board video, but I may be wrong.

Ghaznavid

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
      Great advice, thanks  ;) I took the CMOS cell out and left it 15 mins. Worked perfectly afterward.

Now to get the new graphics card working (|
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr Seuss

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
      Glad it worked.
      With a little effort, you can make the new card the #1 video in windows. But in BIOS both VGA ports will show the same image. Have an old monitor of TV set? use it for a second monitor. There are adapters that can work even  old analog TV sets, the kind they no longer sell.

Ghaznavid

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:52:28 PM »
        How do I actually go about doing that.

My goal is pretty much to run my new 32" TV as the main monitor, and my old 19" LCD monitor as a second screen for emails/forums/anything where I need to sit close to it.

My available ports are the HDMI out on my graphics card and my onboard VGA port. My graphics card doesn't support multiple screens (its a G-Force 210 - I'm not a gamer   ^-^).

Ps. That dancing banana smilie is rather odd! I always enjoy the smilies on forums I'm new to  :|| :rofl: