Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please Help. Burning Smell and weird noises.  (Read 4960 times)

Noblecon

Please Help. Burning Smell and weird noises.
« on: July 18, 2004, 12:16:42 PM »
OK, I have just build my own computer. its an AMD 2500+ Barton. i have everything set up in it, but, as most of you probly kno, most computers run of 115v. mine will not. When i do have it on 115v and then i turn it on, it only stays on for a split second before shuting its self off. So i switched it over to 230v and it worked..it was running. yay. untill i smelt a smell no computer guy wants to smell. the smell of electricty burning through something. so i shut it donw right away and started flipping out. haha jj. but i was like *censored*..so then i waited awhile and started it back up again. then i put my head near the power supply and it was making some weird noises, almost as if it was working too hard, and then...i started listing to the CPU fan. and it was like shuting off and turning back on....ok so, im not a computer guru but the only thing i can come up with is that the power supply isnt strong enough...its a 400watt though, i dont know what to do...please help me out

merlin_2

Re: Please Help. Burning Smell and weird noises.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 06:33:08 PM »
what mobo this sounds like you have fried it?if this is us built it wil not run on 115v? 220/250v is british voltage ?where in the world are you? when your pc turned itself on /off this may not mean thats its a power issue?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 06:34:21 PM by merlin_2 »

PCgeek8080

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 04:44:31 PM »
Man, it means ur frying that computer!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 04:45:14 PM by PCgeek8080 »

Noblecon

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 08:06:17 PM »
lol. ok i found out what was wrong with it. i hooked one thing up wrong, it now works fine. thanks for all your help tho.

Gorthaur

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 12:59:46 PM »
What thing did you have hooked up wrong? I am having a very similar problem and I would gladly like to know what it was that was wrong.