Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC switches off suddenly  (Read 2531 times)

ganeshnag75

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    PC switches off suddenly
    « on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
    I have a PC with a Pentium Dual Core E5700 processor, 2 GB RAM in a ATX cabinet.

I have been facing a problem for the past few weeks. The CPU switches off without warning. This happens sometimes in a few minutes after switching on, sometimes after several hours. The screen goes blank, but the Power LED continues to glow. The restart button on the CPU also becomes unresponsive. I have to do a hard reboot by pressing the power on button for several seconds, or wait for few minutes after which the CPU reboots on its own.

I suspected a problem with the SMPS and changed it. The problem persisted. I then did a fresh install of the OS - Win 7 Pro. But the problem continues. Though the room tha houses my PC has no Aircon, the temperature is a reasonable 30 Deg C, which should not cause overheating. In any case, I have an additional CPU fan, as I am in a hot country.

Since the win resintall has not solved my issue, I guess it is a hardware problem. I have double checked all cables and slots too.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC switches off suddenly
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
    When you say " the temperature is a reasonable 30 Deg C" - Are you referring to the room, or CPU temperature?

ganeshnag75

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: PC switches off suddenly
      « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »
      I mean the room temperature.