Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New here. Hi everyone. Printer problem  (Read 3016 times)

Royalott

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    New here. Hi everyone. Printer problem
    « on: August 06, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
    rather I need advice on buying a new printer.

I have a Acer running Windows 8, a Hp running Windows 7, a laptop running XP and a Samsung Galaxy Tab Note 10.1 running the latest android (I forget what it is) :D

My problem is this. I have a newwork and would like to run this printer/scanner on all my computers wirelessly.  The one I have, a lexmark does not support Windows 8. I called tech support at Lexmark and they said they will not be providing drivers for this computer. That means I do not want a Lexmark printer.

I want a wireless printer/scanner. I see there are the ones that use the ink cartrages and then there are Laser printers. What is best for the average home user?  What is the most expensive to buy ink or toner for?

This is very confusing for me being an old guy :D  73    Anyone have any advice for me?  Thanks in advance--Royal

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New here. Hi everyone. Printer problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »
    Its hard to find a cheap and good printer that wont jab your wallet in ink prices. Not to solicit, but Staples has been good at taking in trade ins for when buying HP Printers. My one friend got $50 off of a new all in one which was price tagged for $200 so he got it at $150. Not sure if this was just the promo at the time or an ongoing thing, but in addition to this he had ink that was unopened for the old printer and Staples took the old ink back unopened and gave him credit towards his new ink for the new printer.

Pretty much anything that is inkjet is going to jab you on ink prices. I havent found any that are forgiving as for that is how they make the printers so affordably priced, they recuperate the cost of the printer by changing you on ink.

The better cost per printed page is when working with lasetjets, but a laserjet with features you want may be way above your budget.

When buying a new printer verify that it says that it is Windows 8 compatible as for bargain prices might be for some left over models that are Windows 7 and prior OS.

When it comes to printers and printing at low cost, I really miss my Epson LQ-1050+ Dot Matrix because the ribbons were less than $10 each and could print through 5 cases of tractor-feed paper (thousands of pages) before having to be replaced. Sure it was loud and noisy, but it was cheap to print and I didnt need to have color. My wife doesnt miss it, mainly because of the noise it made, but I do.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
    Overall I agree with the post above.
    Here are some possibilities.
    HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One
    about $200 to$300
    Epson WorkForce 845 All-in-One Printer
    Under $100

I use a HP 6500  all in one. The ink is pricy. But it works good.

You might also look at brother printers, but I won't recommend that brand anymore. And I think you want to stick with the inkjet unless you need to do some professional work.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:47:31 AM »
    Pretty much anything that is inkjet is going to jab you on ink prices. I havent found any that are forgiving as for that is how they make the printers so affordably priced, they recuperate the cost of the printer by changing you on ink.

The better cost per printed page is when working with lasetjets, but a laserjet with features you want may be way above your budget.

I agree with the above wholeheartedly.  I vastly prefer laser printers, although the initial cost is higher the total cost of ownership is lower - much more cost effective prints, and more reliable too.
    I get my photos printed elsewhere for around 7p a print, and use my laser for everything else, as 99% of what I print is black and white anyway.  If you print more B&W than colour, definitely consider a laser instead.