Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop from scratch, Is it possible?  (Read 3440 times)

Believil

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    laptop from scratch, Is it possible?
    « on: August 12, 2013, 07:47:52 AM »
    Hello
     Can anyone Please tell me if it's possible to build a laptop from scratch?

All I can find are Websites that do customization & that's not what i'm looking for.

I'm looking for a UK website to buy from not an overseas site.

Thanks 4 Your Time
    Carl

My computer as :- Windows XP service pack 3
                                 AMD Athlon xp 2600+
                                 2.11 GHZ - 1.50 GB of Ram
                                 Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: laptop from scratch, Is it possible?
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:56 AM »
    In a word, no.
    Yes, it's theoretically possible, but it would be so time consuming and expensive it would completely defeat the purpose.  You can buy barebones laptops and add your own CPU, RAM, and HDD within the limits of the chipset, but that's just precisely what the websites offering customization do, and to buy a barebones yourself will mean you'll be paying an inflated price as they're normally sold only to OEMs, and losing out on the benefits of buying from a company like that (for example, warranty and technical support).
    Why do you want to build your own?

Believil

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:38:19 AM »
      Hi
       The thought came too me when trying to buy a new laptop,  Not sure which are good to buy & which are not.
      I'm wanting a decent laptop with good graphics & speed plus built in webcam, Wi-Fi etc  but don't want to spend more then £400
                                   AMD Athlon xp 2600+
                                   Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:39:39 AM »
      I'm wanting a decent laptop with good graphics & speed plus built in webcam, Wi-Fi etc  but don't want to spend more then £400

You'll need to up your budget significantly, or drop your requirements significantly.
      Laptops are a compromise between speed, portability and price.  Price usually suffers as a result.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:10 AM »
      Begin dictation.  ;D
      Please let me stick in my two cents.
      Yes, in a word the answer is NO.
      However, many people enjoy building things asked a hobby. Even things that are difficult or lacking commercial value. What I mean is that if an individual build computers at home and sold them to other people he could make a reasonable profit if he could keep his cost down. Although that is the case perhaps for desktop computers, is not the case for laptop computers. Still, there can be a compelling reason to do it anyway.
      The compelling reason is the satisfaction one gets out of doing something that was considered very difficult. With current technology it would be very difficult for a homebuilder to fabricate a motherboard himself. However, he could purchase a replacement motherboard and then customize a case for the motherboard and add the other necessary components. There is room for improvement, modification, innovation and novelty in the details of the case and the connectors and the overall presentation.
      To illustrate: how about a laptop where the screen display can be swiveled up into a position that is much closer to the user's face. This would be an important feature for people that have low vision problems. Or for people that are working on some unusual things. I'm thinking of someone who is designing fonts. They would like to have the screen very close to their face so they can examine the font with a magnifying glass. That's easy to do with a desktop computer, almost impossible with a laptop unless you do something funny, like put the laptop in a special cradle.
      There could be other reasons for doing a custom laptop. Perhaps for some industrial and commercial applications a laptop is the only suitable device they could use it, yet it must be modified for special environment.
      Replacement parts for laptops are abundant on eBay. It is almost like a junkyard. Car rebuilders used junkyards to find parts to make custom cars, therefore a home computer builder might find eBay to be a suitable junkyard for laptop computer parts.
      Just a thought. Really, a person does not have to have great skill and knowledge to undertake such a project. Just persistence and motivation and some help from other people. Nowadays one of the things the Internet offers is the ability to connect with other people that have the same interests. Even if they're only 300 people in the whole world but wanted to build their own laptop, that would be enough to have a very active community of users helping each other.
      Just a thought.
      This is the end of the dictation here. The above may have grimmer issues. It was done by dictation. I have low-vision and I haven to be within six inches of the screen to see with my one eye.  8)

Believil

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41:03 AM »
        Yes I see what you mean, ok thanks for the input.
        Just 1 more thing...
        If a processer is a dual Core at 2.40GB does that mean 2.40 + 2.40 = 4.80GB Speed
                                     AMD Athlon xp 2600+
                                     Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
        No, you don't really double the speed. But two cores are better that one. The equilateral performance gain s is more like a factor of 1.4x rather tan a 2 x increase. You might say this is the law of diminishing s return.  Yet any effort the up the clock speed comes to a limit. The chip maker finds it more economical to add another core rather than doing a whole new design.So yes, dual core is a good feature in a laptop.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:01:13 AM »
        No...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Believil

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »
          Ah ok,
           thanks for the help :)
                                       AMD Athlon xp 2600+
                                       Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200