Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can my computer handle 4 Monitors? (2 of them Touch)  (Read 3774 times)

SQUIDNow

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Can my computer handle 4 Monitors? (2 of them Touch)
    « on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:58 AM »
    I'm looking into a new computer for gaming/work(Graphic Design/Webdesign). I'm highly experience in most subjects, but this is confusing me and want people opinion on the matter.
    I'm wanting to see if the rig I'm looking at can hold 4 monitors (x2 1920x1080 24" and x2  22'' Muti-touch LED Monitor; 1080p Full HD; Dual Optical Touch 20,000,000:1)

Computer specs are:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
    North Bridge Chipset: Intel X79 Express
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Processor 3.6GHz
    CPU Brand: Intel
    CPU Core:   Quad-Core
    CPU Type:   Core i7
    CPU Speed:   3820 (3.6GHz)
    Turbo Boost Speed   Up to 3.8GHz
    Smart Cache:  10MB
    FSB:   5 GT/s
    CPU Socket:   LGA 2011
    CPUs Installed   :       1
    CPUs Supported:   1
    Total Memory:   16GB
    Memory Speed:   DDR3-1600
    Form Factor:   240-pin DIMM
    Memory Configuration   4 x 4GB
    HD Capacity:   2TB
    HD Interface:   SATA
    HD RPM:   7,200 RPM
    HD Configuration:   1 x 2TB
    RAID   AHCI

Multimedia Drives
    Optical Drive:   DVDRW
    Optical Drive Interface:   SATA
    Optical Drive Specs:   24x DVDRW Drive - 16x DVD+R DL; 12x DVD-R DL; 24x8x24 DVD+RW; 24x6x16 DVD-RW; 48x32x48 CD-RW

GPU Type:   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660Ti
    Video Memory:   2GB
    GPU Interface:   PCIe x16
    Display Interface:
    1 x HDMI
    1 x DisplayPort
    1 x DVI-I
    1 x DVI-D

LAN   Gigabit LAN
    LAN Data Rate Speed   10/100/1000Mbps
    LAN Interface   Integrated
    WLAN:   Wireless LAN
    Wireless Technology:
    802.11b
    802.11g
    802.11n

WLAN Data Transfer Rate:   up to 150Mbps
    WLAN Interface:   PCIe

Card Reader:   Multimedia Card Reader
    Media Supported:
    Secure Digital
    Memory Stick
    Memory Stick PRO
    SDHC

Power Supply:   500 Watt
    Combined +12V Rating:   336 Watts (28A)

So now, will this stat's be able to handle the x2 1920x1080 24" and x2  22'' Muti-touch LED Monitor; 1080p Full HD; Dual Optical Touch? Will it become slow with a Graphic card? Also, I will be running games so will the display impact the quality in game?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Can my computer handle 4 Monitors? (2 of them Touch)
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 08:18:41 AM »
    Your graphics card supports 4 displays, assuming your monitors use the available outputs.
    What will you be doing with the 4 displays?  Do you intend to just use them for normal displays, for example watching a movie on one and browsing on another, while the others display...something (can't think of a use off the top of my head)?  Or, do you intend to game on them all together?
    Finally, have you already bought this PC?  If so, I'll say no more, but if not then you can definitely do better for your needs (assuming average prices for all components and you're not getting it for $300 or something, if that's the case go right ahead!).

SQUIDNow

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »
      Well, each will be displaying something different. Like Netflix on one, my online chat on another, Photoshop on another, and maybe a online game on or another tab/Skype. Or something around that idea (So I'm not having to keep switching windows[Very busy person online])

"but if not then you can definitely do better for your needs"? As to what I might ask? Have any idea's?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »
      Well, each will be displaying something different. Like Netflix on one, my online chat on another, Photoshop on another, and maybe a online game on or another tab/Skype. Or something around that idea (So I'm not having to keep switching windows[Very busy person online])

Then, assuming the monitors you have in mind use the various display outputs available on the card, you'll be fine.  However, bear in mind not all games like running in windowed mode, and if you run it full screen your mouse cursor is often "trapped" on that monitor, so properly multitasking on multiple monitors while gaming isn't always feasible.

"but if not then you can definitely do better for your needs"? As to what I might ask? Have any idea's?

If you provide me with a budget and perhaps slightly more specific requirements, sure.  Mainly, the X79 platform is expensive for the performance it offers, you'd be better off going with a Z77 board and a Haswell CPU, say the 4770.  That would give you some cash to spend on an SSD and potentially a better graphics card.  This is slightly based on speculation as at this point I don't know how much this theoretical PC is costing, how much you want to spend, exactly what it's purpose will be, or whether it's a prebuilt system or components you're assembling yourself.

SQUIDNow

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
        Then, assuming the monitors you have in mind use the various display outputs available on the card, you'll be fine.  However, bear in mind not all games like running in windowed mode, and if you run it full screen your mouse cursor is often "trapped" on that monitor, so properly multitasking on multiple monitors while gaming isn't always feasible.

If you provide me with a budget and perhaps slightly more specific requirements, sure.  Mainly, the X79 platform is expensive for the performance it offers, you'd be better off going with a Z77 board and a Haswell CPU, say the 4770.  That would give you some cash to spend on an SSD and potentially a better graphics card.  This is slightly based on speculation as at this point I don't know how much this theoretical PC is costing, how much you want to spend, exactly what it's purpose will be, or whether it's a prebuilt system or components you're assembling yourself.

The computer I'm looking at is the following:
        http://www.microcenter.com/product/415801/G219_Desktop_Computer

It has a: SSD Capacity   120GB
        SSD Interface   SATA 6Gb/s

I'm a impatient type of person for new stuff, But if you can give me a layout or a customer build idea on a site or something that would be much help. I been thinking about a custom build computer, but truthfully I can not build it my self due to I don't know what would be best and where to start. Price range for the tower would be around $1,000-$1,200 but the lowest the better in any matter. :)

The games I play aren't the "Popular" games due to I find them rather boring. I like to multibox Flash games(like Realm of the Mad God) and play some "Semi-Popluar" online games such as Tera, Dofus, BoI/WoI. I jump around form game to game because I get bored after getting max level.

Idea's for my computer I want is Touch Screen, Windows 8, Good Graphic(Med-High Quality on games), High CPU (Multitasking at once), RAM.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 03:25:52 AM »
        I'm not real familiar with US sites that sell prebuilt machines, so from the little research I've done the PC there seems good for the price actually.  Building it yourself would give you a better machine for the price, but if that's not an option then you may as well go for that really.
        I didn't see the SSD listed in your initial post hence part of my disapproval really, a $1000+ build without an SSD is inexcusable IMO.
        I do think the PC isn't fantastically specced as, like I said above, a Z77/4770 system would give you much better bang for your buck, better CPU performance, and probably allow you to get a GTX 760 or maybe a 7950, something along those lines, but I can't seem to find anything decent with that combo for a similar price.