Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are my components compatible  (Read 5245 times)

stefelz

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Are my components compatible
    « on: August 14, 2013, 12:56:23 PM »
    well I've purchased a mother board on ebay that was suppose to be brand new.after assembling it together and plugging it into my monitor nothing showed up on my screen. after go through and trying everything on different computer I've finally diagnosed it was the motherboard. so i open a case on ebay and the seller ask me what comments i was using and i told him. he said that my cpu and ram card was not compatible. I've read that a mobo would config the ram card to work with it ( i could be wrong) and as for the cpu i don't really know. So i wanted to ask the community on there take.
    MOBO - Intel BLKDP45SG DP45SG ATX DDR3 LGA775
    CPU - Intel SL9D9 Pentium D Processor 925 3.0GHz 4MB 800MHz Desktop CPU Socket LGA775
    RAM - KingstonKP382H-HYC 4GB 240p PC3-10600 CL9 16c 256x8 DDR3-1333 2Rx8 1.5V UDIMM,

he was talking as if because its not on the list that it will automatically not work. if that were true would i not hear a POST beep or something signaling it was a ram or cpu problem?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Are my components compatible
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
    I'd find a better CPU that is on the supported CPU list for that board. A Pentium D 3Ghz even with 4MB Cache is going to be a bottleneck if it did work.

If you are looking for a cheap but good performing CPU for this build, I would suggest going with a CPU like the Pentium E5400    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_microprocessors      which is 2.7Ghz and a pretty good Dual-core and is on the supported CPU list. *I have 2 of these CPU's in 2 builds and they are good workhorses for what I use them for. They also are able to run most games with a good video card added. The lightest CPU I'd put in this is a Core 2 Duo. * Some Core 2 Duo's out perform the Pentium E5400, but the E5400 is a newer CPU

*I would suggest staying away from the Pentium E2000 series as for the ones I have worked with in business machines are laggy even with plenty of RAM. And with Core 2 Duo's I would suggest the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo e6600 http://ark.intel.com/products/27250/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6600-4M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB as for this CPU performs WAY better than the Core 2 Duo e4300 1.8Ghz http://ark.intel.com/products/28024/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E4300-2M-Cache-1_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB that my wifes HP computer tower initially came with. The 2.4Ghz e6600 vs the 1.8Ghz e4300 is a significant performance gain, especially when it comes to games. She currently games on this machine on the e6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM DDR2-800Mhz running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a GeForce 9800GT with 1GB RAM, and a 160GB IDE HDD for the OS and most games, and 30GB SATA II SSD for World of Warcraft which is 25GB and really performs well on the SSD vs the old slow IDE HDD that I put into this computer. *The original hard drive that this computer had when given to me ( for free ) "dead" was a 320GB SATA II HDD, but the drive was toast and the 160GB IDE was collecting dust and so I added a 2x IDE cable in place of the 1x IDE cable to have the DVD/CD-RW drive and HDD on this IDE port and when a deal came by with a close out on a OCZ 30GB HDD for $29.99, I picked it up quickly for her system.

Here are the supported CPU's for that motherboard:
    Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Extreme, Dual-Core Xeon 3000 series, Core 2 Quad, Pentium Dual Core, Celeron 400 sequence, Quad-Core Xeon 3200 series, Celeron Dual Core, Dual-Core Xeon 3100 series, Quad-Core Xeon 3300 series

Here is a comparison between the 2 cheaper CPU's that I suggest the Core 2 Duo e6600 2.4 Ghz vs the Pentium E5400 2.7Ghz : http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/385/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6600_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E5400.html .... as you can see they are really close in performance and the strengths and weaknesses are stated.

**Also if you want to overclock, the Core 2 Duo e6600 is a great CPU for running it hard and lasting. The CPU that normally runs at 2.4Ghz will run at 3.0+Ghz without any problems as long as you have proper cooling!!! The Core 2 Duo e6600 that is in my wifes computer I purchased off of my brother who ran it overclocked for almost 5 years in his gaming system at 3.2Ghz. I bought the motherboard with RAM CPU and heatsink for $90 and sold the high end motherboard for $50 and kept the 4GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2 800Mhz RAM for my gaming system and installed this CPU into my wifes computer as just 2.4Ghz native clock. *The ASUS motherboard in this HP Pavilion has no BIOS features to overclock and the e6600 is the fastest CPU that is supported by the lower end ASUS for HP motherboard.

*** If you can find a Core 2 Quad for that motherboard that is even better. It all depends on your budget and what this build is going to be used for?

**** The motherboard is an older board and could be still be listed as brand new as long as it was never used prior to you using it, even though its from 2008/2009 http://ark.intel.com/products/34683/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP45SG. I have seen old stock brand new = never used items on ebay before, even items that are over 20 years old and they stopped making the items years ago like 5.25" single-sided floppy disks in a sealed box.

***** Here is a comparison between a Pentium D 945 CPU slightly more more powerful than your current CPU and a Pentium E5400 : http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/309/Intel_Pentium_D_945_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E5400.html

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »
    MOBO - Intel BLKDP45SG DP45SG ATX DDR3 LGA775
    CPU - Intel SL9D9 Pentium D Processor 925 3.0GHz 4MB 800MHz Desktop CPU Socket LGA775
    RAM - KingstonKP382H-HYC 4GB 240p PC3-10600 CL9 16c 256x8 DDR3-1333 2Rx8 1.5V UDIMM,

he was talking as if because its not on the list that it will automatically not work. if that were true would i not hear a POST beep or something signaling it was a ram or cpu problem?
    Pentium D-925 is not on the compatibility list for that motherboard, but it should work, since the mobo supports 800Hz bus speed (i.e. E4700-E4300).  I have exactly the same cpu & it's solid & runs cool (30degC).

Don't think the RAM is an issue even though it's a lot faster than you need.

What about the graphics card, you did not specify?

Is this the motherboard?

stefelz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
      I'd find a better CPU that is on the supported CPU list for that board. A Pentium D 3Ghz even with 4MB Cache is going to be a bottleneck if it did work.

If you are looking for a cheap but good performing CPU for this build, I would suggest going with a CPU like the Pentium E5400    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_microprocessors      which is 2.7Ghz and a pretty good Dual-core and is on the supported CPU list. *I have 2 of these CPU's in 2 builds and they are good workhorses for what I use them for. They also are able to run most games with a good video card added. The lightest CPU I'd put in this is a Core 2 Duo. * Some Core 2 Duo's out perform the Pentium E5400, but the E5400 is a newer CPU

*I would suggest staying away from the Pentium E2000 series as for the ones I have worked with in business machines are laggy even with plenty of RAM. And with Core 2 Duo's I would suggest the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo e6600 http://ark.intel.com/products/27250/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6600-4M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB as for this CPU performs WAY better than the Core 2 Duo e4300 1.8Ghz http://ark.intel.com/products/28024/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E4300-2M-Cache-1_80-GHz-800-MHz-FSB that my wifes HP computer tower initially came with. The 2.4Ghz e6600 vs the 1.8Ghz e4300 is a significant performance gain, especially when it comes to games. She currently games on this machine on the e6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM DDR2-800Mhz running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with a GeForce 9800GT with 1GB RAM, and a 160GB IDE HDD for the OS and most games, and 30GB SATA II SSD for World of Warcraft which is 25GB and really performs well on the SSD vs the old slow IDE HDD that I put into this computer. *The original hard drive that this computer had when given to me ( for free ) "dead" was a 320GB SATA II HDD, but the drive was toast and the 160GB IDE was collecting dust and so I added a 2x IDE cable in place of the 1x IDE cable to have the DVD/CD-RW drive and HDD on this IDE port and when a deal came by with a close out on a OCZ 30GB HDD for $29.99, I picked it up quickly for her system.

Here are the supported CPU's for that motherboard:
      Here is a comparison between the 2 cheaper CPU's that I suggest the Core 2 Duo e6600 2.4 Ghz vs the Pentium E5400 2.7Ghz : http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/385/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6600_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E5400.html .... as you can see they are really close in performance and the strengths and weaknesses are stated.

**Also if you want to overclock, the Core 2 Duo e6600 is a great CPU for running it hard and lasting. The CPU that normally runs at 2.4Ghz will run at 3.0+Ghz without any problems as long as you have proper cooling!!! The Core 2 Duo e6600 that is in my wifes computer I purchased off of my brother who ran it overclocked for almost 5 years in his gaming system at 3.2Ghz. I bought the motherboard with RAM CPU and heatsink for $90 and sold the high end motherboard for $50 and kept the 4GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2 800Mhz RAM for my gaming system and installed this CPU into my wifes computer as just 2.4Ghz native clock. *The ASUS motherboard in this HP Pavilion has no BIOS features to overclock and the e6600 is the fastest CPU that is supported by the lower end ASUS for HP motherboard.

*** If you can find a Core 2 Quad for that motherboard that is even better. It all depends on your budget and what this build is going to be used for?

**** The motherboard is an older board and could be still be listed as brand new as long as it was never used prior to you using it, even though its from 2008/2009 http://ark.intel.com/products/34683/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP45SG. I have seen old stock brand new = never used items on ebay before, even items that are over 20 years old and they stopped making the items years ago like 5.25" single-sided floppy disks in a sealed box.

***** Here is a comparison between a Pentium D 945 CPU slightly more more powerful than your current CPU and a Pentium E5400 : http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/309/Intel_Pentium_D_945_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E5400.html

what would say about a Intel Pentium E6600 3.06 GHz Dual-Coren then ?

stefelz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
        Pentium D-925 is not on the compatibility list for that motherboard, but it should work, since the mobo supports 800Hz bus speed (i.e. E4700-E4300).  I have exactly the same cpu & it's solid & runs cool (30degC).

Don't think the RAM is an issue even though it's a lot faster than you need.

What about the graphics card, you did not specify?

Is this the motherboard?

yeah thats my motherboard alright & and my graphic card is a nyvida quadro 600 . i planned on building a budget gaming machine.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
        There is no need to Quote the Posts you are replying to...
        Thanx.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
        Try a different graphics card.