Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 laptops 2 problems, any help?  (Read 4044 times)

higherthendave

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    2 laptops 2 problems, any help?
    « on: August 18, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
    I just recently acquired 2 used laptops, 1 is a Toshiba Satellite L655, the other is a acer aspire E1-571

The Toshiba runs windows 7,  the computer boots up fine but after the windows logo appears and takes me to sign in, the screen goes white-ish/green-ish  and i am unable to see anything, if I enter the password blindly then the computer logs into windows fine as i can hear the audio of the log in, but I just have a white screen, does the screen need to be replaced or is there a virus or something messing with it?

The Acer has no hard drive, it originally ran windows 8, I have a home edition of windows 7 as well as a couple old 250gb hard drives that I can replace it with, when i plug in the hard drive and turn it on, I moved the cd boot to priority so it loads off the windows 7 disk first, my goal here is to install windows 7 on the hd and use that, but when it starts, it says "loading windows files..." then it takes me to the windows logo where it says "starting windows" but then sits there indefinitely

The hard drives I am using on the acer are toshiba brand but fit fine, however they do already have previous data from past computers on them, do I need to reformat the drives and partition them first before it will work? or am I missing something else?

If it needs to be reformatted and partitioned, how would I go about doing that, everything I have googled says that you run the HD through the computer and set it up through disk management, but how do I access disk management on it if I can not turn the computer on? do I need an external cable to plug the Hard drive in and then do it through a working computer of Is there another thing I am missing?

Sorry if this does not make sense, I am familiar with the use of computers but things like this I am a complete Newbie, if you need any more information please ask,

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: 2 laptops 2 problems, any help?
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
    The Toshiba sounds like it has a problem with either the graphics driver, or the graphics chip.  If you start it in safe mode does the same thing happen?  How about with an external monitor?

The Acer, well, it shouldn't need the drives partitioning or formatting but it might be worth wiping them just to see if it does make a difference.  If you don't have a desktop PC you could plug the drive into, or an external enclosure, your best bet is to load up a Linux liveCD and do it that way.

Hope this helps.

higherthendave

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
      thank you for the response

as for the toshiba after i posted this, it began having the messed up screen even on boot up, prior to the windows logo, after turning it on and off a few times it would display again only to go white/green on the windows log in screen (as it was doing,) if i put it to sleep and turn it on/off a few times it would display the log in screen fine, it seems anytime the screen goes blank that  makes it go about messing up, I will need to pick up a VGA cable to try an external monitor but was hoping just from the description it could be diagnosed as either a faulty screen or driver/chip error but i guess i will need to pick one up

If i were to plug it in to a external monitor and it displays and runs fine, what would that indicate?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »
      Can we focus on one problem?, not two?
      Have you been swapping hard drives between two disparate laptops?  Not a good idea.

As for the Toshiba, you may have to get a replacement LCD. For a test, try deducing the ambient temperature to see if the LCD has a heat problem. Put in in the fridge for twenty minutes  and then see how it looks when you boot it up.

higherthendave

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
        i will try the cool down and get back to you

I have a few extra hard drives that were sitting around so i put one into the acer, the only hard drives I had were originally from toshibas that I had scrapped, do i need to buy a specific acer hard drive?

higherthendave

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
          Can we focus on one problem?, not two?
          Have you been swapping hard drives between two disparate laptops?  Not a good idea.

As for the Toshiba, you may have to get a replacement LCD. For a test, try deducing the ambient temperature to see if the LCD has a heat problem. Put in in the fridge for twenty minutes  and then see how it looks when you boot it up.

after putting it in the fridge it has the same issues with the screen, i took a  picture, basically it looks like that and the white portion continues to travel down until the black is gone and its an all white screen that sometimes includes green streaks in it, do i need to put in a new display? i have a few extra lcd displays that i can install if need be

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »
          I have no experience with replacement of LCD displays. Others have said that nit could be a cable  does  that when it has a loose wire.  The external VGA port should work fine if it is only the LCD  that is bad.

Mixed hard drives on laptops is not a good idea.  Why? Some have odd ways of doing the recovery and./or the BIOS.  Formatting the drive will likely destroy the recovery partition. If you do not have the install CD, you have to get a copy that will use the same product key. If you already have dealt  with that, ignore this comment.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »
          Geek's suggestion of dealing with 1 at a time is valid...
          Start another Topic for whichever one you choose...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »
          The external monitor working fine does necessarily state that there is no chipset problem. I have come across this situation many times with my client's laptop, where the external monitor was working and LCD was giving problem. And it turned out to be the graphics chipset.
          I don't say this time the problem is same.
          1)  ***removed*** did not see the snapshot posted.
          2) try with another lcd as suggested above.
          3) Still does not work? I would conclude its the chipsets, either need to be tried with heat / re-ball or change the motherboard.
          « Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:07:19 AM by PCdoc »

PCdoc

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 10:06:58 AM »
          The external monitor working fine does necessarily state that there is no chipset problem.

Sorry, Edit: "does not necessarily state that" I meant ...